PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Indexable Spiral Cutterhead Question

Rob Holcomb
03-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Hello to all. Since I have my G0453 apart at the moment I am going to buy the Grizzly Spiral Cutterhead for it. What I need to know is does it come with instructions on how to remove the factory cutterhead and insert the new one? Thanks in advance.

Rob Holcomb
03-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Disregard this thread. I located the manual for the Spiral Cutterhead and see that detailed instructions for removal of the factory cutterhead are included.

Neil Bosdet
03-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Good luck with the change over! I did my General 20" with a Byrd head a couple of months ago. Big job but worth it! Take it one step at a time.

Ralph Butts
03-20-2011, 1:38 PM
Sorry, I posted before I spotted this thread. I am also looking to change the head on my new CL deal G0453. How long did it take you to change out the head? Anything gotchas to avoid that are not mentioned in the instructions? Can anyone comment on the difference between the Byrd and the Grizz indexable heads?

Neil Bosdet
03-20-2011, 2:52 PM
How long did it take you to change out the head? Anything gotchas to avoid that are not mentioned in the instructions? Can anyone comment on the difference between the Byrd and the Grizz indexable heads?

For my switch, I took my time and did it over 2 days. Probably 2 hours spent each day. Disassembly day 1 in the evening, back together on day 2. So 4 hours total. It may have been 3 hours total but not more than 4. Be very organized and clean. Don't get flustered. If something doesn't look right, stop and figure it out before you take stuff apart or force it together. The reassembly of my gear box was the biggest problem. I had some sticking gears. Make sure things function well before you move to the next step on reassembly. Other than that, take your time. I found the instructions quite adequate. As for differences between Byrd and Grizz....there has been countless discussions on this forum. Do a search and read some. I have both, Byrd on the planer and Grizz on the jointer. I really can't tell much of a difference but if I had to choose I'd actually say the Grizz is giving me a better finish. Both are excellent.

Chip Lindley
03-20-2011, 3:24 PM
Anything gotchas to avoid...?

Wear leather work gloves when handling the old and new cutterheads! You will be GLAD you DID!

Neil Bosdet
03-20-2011, 3:31 PM
Wear leather work gloves when handling the old and new cutterheads! You will be GLAD you DID!

Ditto that. Very important!

Ralph Butts
03-20-2011, 6:58 PM
Guys thanks a lot for the advice. Doing the replacement over a couple of days after work may be just the ticket. That way I won't feel rushed and can avoid the feeling to rush to get done.