PDA

View Full Version : Camphor burl

David E Keller
03-20-2011, 10:59 AM
I bought a big chunk of this stuff a while back from Gilmer. The chunk had several large cracks which extended through the piece, so I got a 'deal' on it. Being the tight wad that I am, I was committed to using every bit of this stuff. I ended up filling the cracks with iron oxide(rust) and epoxy, and this piece really tested my patience. I had to fill and refill on numerous occasions, but I'm happy with the color 'match'. I also learned that rust is really hard to cut with turning tools... One pass and then back to the grinder! If this had been free wood, I'd have thrown it away early on.

This piece is about 7 inches tall, 4.5 inches wide, and the opening is 1.5 inches. It's finished with shellac and multiple coats of WOP. The form is a little different for me, but it's growing on me. I absolutely love the smell of this stuff, and it's a pleasure to turn.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

Bill Wilcox
03-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Nice job!! I really enjoy the shape and color of this wood. I think your proportions are very pleasing to the eye.
How big is the opening and what is the width.
I have been looking at Gilmer for wood but have found the a lot of the wood they show have been snapped up or too small for what I would like to do.

David E Keller
03-20-2011, 11:19 AM
...How big is the opening and what is the width...

Thanks, Bill. I actually went out and put a tape on it, and I edited the original post to reflect the accurate measurements.

Curt Fuller
03-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Glad to see you back in action David. I always enjoy seeing your work. And, I can empathize with you on saving the wood. I just can't seem to let go of a piece of wood once I've started either. I'm not sure about this form, although it has all kinds of nice curves and things the jury is still out on something about it. But I sure like the color in the wood and the rust and epoxy idea is one I'll steal for sure.

Roland Martin
03-20-2011, 11:40 AM
An elegant and smooth form, I like it. The wood and the color are fantastic. As usual, David, another fine piece!

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2011, 12:15 PM
This I like! Has an almost gem-like quality to it! Personally - I love the form!

You have been busy lately! Keep up the good work!

Darren Jamieson
03-20-2011, 12:27 PM
David, the color and the finish are great but the form just doesn't sit right. I can't put my finger on it but I think that maybe the top should be just a bit more squat. JMO and either way I would be happy to have it in my growing collection.

John Keeton
03-20-2011, 2:52 PM
David, this wood is beautiful and while the form is different, I do like it. I am curious as to which tool in the shop was sacrificed to obtain the rust!?!?

David E Keller
03-20-2011, 3:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks. I recognize this form is not for everyone. In fact, I'm not really sure that I like it, but like I said, it's growing on me a bit. I'm going to keep studying it, and I'll try to figure out what I like and don't like. Raffan recommends painting things black to study the form, but after all the misery finishing this piece, I'm not sure I can bring myself to spray paint it.

...I am curious as to which tool in the shop was sacrificed to obtain the rust!?!?

I actually traded some stuff with a guy a while back and part of what I received was a bag of powdered aluminum oxide... No tools were harmed in the making of this piece. I remember thinking, 'What in hades am I supposed to do with a bag of rust?' when I received the package, but now I know.

Mark Hubl
03-20-2011, 5:38 PM
Busy, busy, busy. I am still new enough and haven't turned enough to know when to just throw it away, don't know if I ever will, so I understand. Looks good, for me the form is ok, just a bit off, I think it is the size of the top. Nice save though, the color looks good in the pics. Keep them coming.

Michael James
03-20-2011, 8:33 PM
Beautiful wood for sure and that is a standard vase form, although I don't see a lot turned with a smaller radius in the curve. The finish is very nice and a great argument for WOP on selected pieces. Glad to see you posting your work.
mj

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2011, 8:35 PM
David I do like this one. The form and wood are beautiful. Really well done.

Roger Chandler
03-20-2011, 9:32 PM
That is a pretty piece of work, David. Love the color and the use of the fill you did.........very ingenious! The form is a little unusual, but very nice.....sometimes the wood blank itself is determinative of the size and scope of a form, and you did a super job on the finish.

Your gouges must have been smoking pretty much lately with all the burls, etc you have been turning out............great that you had some turning time! A guy can't work 24/7 all the time and maintain any balance in life..............glad you posted this..........it is a real looker!

Baxter Smith
03-20-2011, 10:21 PM
I really like the color and you did a great job of hiding the cracks. Will have to keep that rust thing in mind.

steven carter
03-21-2011, 1:55 PM
I like the form on this one, even though is is not the "norm". I really like seeing different forms, IMO variety isn't the spice of life, variety is life. Apparently there is a difference between the way we treat rust, I'm trying to knock off the rust, and you are putting it on :).

Jim Burr
03-21-2011, 2:19 PM
I like this one doc...colors and finish are super. I have that shape in a pottery book so it's valid. I hope we don't get in the rut of all making the same forms over and over. Keep the imagination flowing and don't worry about whether it sits well with the masses.

charlie knighton
03-21-2011, 3:40 PM
very nice....like your proportions, keep moving the inches around

David E Keller
03-21-2011, 4:41 PM
Thanks for the comments. I just realized that I typed 'aluminum oxide' in an earlier response, but I obviously meant 'iron oxide'. I'm sure you all figured that out, but I couldn't figure out how to edit the goof.

Cathy Schaewe
03-21-2011, 8:53 PM
I really like it. My only thought - and I don't know if it would actually improve the piece - is that the bottom could be more (what's the word) lifted? Instead of square to the table. Like I said, I don't know if that would be better. I just like the pieces that have that when I see them. I think the iron oxide complements the camphor beautifully. I'd be proud to have turned that ....

Michelle Rich
03-22-2011, 5:30 AM
Funny, everyone thinks the top is too big..maybe the bottom is too small? HA :-) I keep staring at it, and I really see nothing wrong with it..call the shape DEK IN PROGRESS..I suspect, as you live with it, it will grow on you. The color alone would keep me happy!

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-22-2011, 6:39 AM
It's obvious by your recent rate of production, that there a shortage of broken bones and joint replacement jobs in your neighborhood. Good for you and us. You get time to turn and we get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. You need continuing turning education once in a while so you stave off the rust ..... or at least some turning time to find a way to use it.
faust

Lupe Duncan
03-22-2011, 9:38 PM
Very nice form David, I like the shape kinda makes you stare at it waiting for it to fall over.

Great finish as well.....

Dan Forman
03-23-2011, 1:59 AM
I like the shape, and the finish is deep and mysterious. Well worth all of that sharpening.

Dan