PDA

View Full Version : Less for Veterans at Home Depot

John alder
03-20-2011, 10:06 AM
At the checkout yesterday I was informed that HD will no longer give a discount to Vets unless you have a service connected medical prob.Sad because I always enjoied receiving it in the past.Does any one know what Lowes current policy is?? John Fmr. US Navy

Rich Engelhardt
03-20-2011, 12:02 PM
AFAIK - Lowes gives military 10% off w/proper ID.

Jim Davenport
03-20-2011, 1:07 PM
I can't answer for veterans, but both Lowes, and HD give 10% for retired military.

Rich Tomassetti
03-20-2011, 8:51 PM
Menards also stopped giving the 10% dicount.

Bill Kobie
03-21-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm not a Veteran,But I do remember a friend mentioned the new policy.I don't remember all the details but I'm pretty sure they will still give the discount to Veterans provided you get a new ID proving your served.I think he either called Veterans Affairs and then went and they issued him a new ID and ironically enough he still used his old ID/number for proof.LOL!!

They are probably having a problem with People using the system!!!
I would'nt get frustrated if I were you,Just ask a manager.Thanks for Serving!!!!

sunny nic
03-21-2011, 3:10 AM
Menards also stopped giving the 10% dicount.

sounds a pity.

John Pratt
03-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Home Depot here stopped doing it as an everyday thing and lowes still does it on holidays. However, my location is right outside a large military installation so when it was offered, practically everyone qualified. Must have been hurting the bottom line so it was discontinued.

David Weaver
03-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Went through lowes just this past week and FIL got 10%. Must vary by lowes. I thought that lowes was liberalizing it some, but FIL goes to the CS desk to make his purchase every time and has not had any trouble.

Given most of the prices at Lowes and HD for what they have (most of it is just branded imported junk), if they take the 10% away, it's because they want to, not because they have to. I'm sure they are still making a fat margin on most of the stuff they sell. Different story, I'd bet, for large amounts of constructions supplies, but the stuff that most people get - drill bits, paint, rolls of tape, lawn and garden hand tools, etc, they are doing pretty well with.

Lowes used to be such a good store (talking like 20+ years ago). They had good construction supplies and really good quality contractor's tools for a good price. I have trouble finding much of anything to buy in either place now. I guess they've both got their market share, and the only way up with revenue is less quality and worse prices. A lot of the prices on accessory stuff (chinese drill bits, sandpaper, etc) is just downright insulting. You can hardly get a good file anywhere in either store, now. Nicholson stuff is all going toward mexico and the local lowes here has nothing but india and china made files. I have no idea what people are using them for, because they cut like a used up file before you even start using them.

Jerome Hanby
03-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Again things may vary by location and change over time, but I avoided Lowe's for the better part of a year after that told my son they only offered that discount only on Veteran's Day weekend. This weas at the Trussville, AL YMMV.

Dave Lehnert
03-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Most likely done away with because of people taking advantage of the program.

At our store we ran a program where you got a discount on gas. It was possible to get gas for $0.10 gal. NOT $0.10 off but $0.10 a gallon (up to 20 gal.) Was easy to do, not like you had to buy the whole store. Anyway....... People would make a purchase to get the free gas. Drive to the gas station, fill up, drive back to the store and return everything.

Ben Hatcher
03-21-2011, 1:12 PM
Most likely done away with because of people taking advantage of the program.

At our store we ran a program where you got a discount on gas. It was possible to get gas for $0.10 gal. NOT $0.10 off but $0.10 a gallon (up to 20 gal.) Was easy to do, not like you had to buy the whole store. Anyway....... People would make a purchase to get the free gas. Drive to the gas station, fill up, drive back to the store and return everything.

...and people complain about politicians and corporations taking advantage of loopholes. This kind of thing ticks me off to no end. Cheapskates and scammers of all walks ruin things for everyone.

Bill Kobie
03-21-2011, 2:02 PM
I email me friend about this subject and he told me as of Jan.1 2011 all County clerks offices were required to be able to produce a photo Military ID or Veterans ID

The DD 214 ID/form according to him does not work any more and some of you are correct,HD will not Honor it any more BUT Lowes will.Contractors with large orders were costing to much along with fake ID's.

He also said the County Clerks office has a entire list of Companys that will give Vets a discount.Some good ones to,Apple,Dell ect.

Lee Schierer
03-21-2011, 4:10 PM
I was in our local HD just last week, showed my retired ID and they took 10% off my purchase. Unless the policy changed this past week my local HD still gives 10% off. One local Lowes will also, the other you have to prod them a bit to get it. I only use the discount if the discount will total a dollar or more.

Verizon Wireless gives 15% off their rates to Vets with a DD214.

Frank Drew
03-21-2011, 4:57 PM
It's getting tougher out there for everyone, not just veterans. Companies are certainly cutting back on benefits to their own employees.

Glenn Clabo
03-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Everyone? Only eight percent of the general population can claim veteran status, but nearly one-fifth of the homeless population are veterans. Less than one percent of the countries families are serving this country.

Von Bickley
03-22-2011, 3:34 PM
Around central SC, I get a 10% military discount at Lowes, Home Depot and Harbor Freight.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-22-2011, 3:40 PM
It's interesting...there was a thread recently where an email from HD was posted.....according to the email....Vets would get discounts on certain holidays...like the 4th of July.....Veterans Day......

.....and yet at the counter a few weeks ago....the lady asked me if I was a vet....I said "Yes".....she said of I had a DD-214 I could get the discount and she gave it to me any way.........without any proof....

I can post pictures of me in uniform.....but nobody would recongnize me with blonde hair and no belly......

Frank Drew
03-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Everyone? Only eight percent of the general population can claim veteran status, but nearly one-fifth of the homeless population are veterans. Less than one percent of the countries families are serving this country.

Glenn, I don't accept the premise that the only way to serve the country, truly serve the people of this country, is in the armed forces.

Glenn Clabo
03-26-2011, 1:42 PM
Ok...I hear ya. You are absolutely right. I do fully understand that there are many ways to serve this country. I meant to say that differently. I'll try again... Less than one percent of this countries families are serving in this countries military. My main point was it makes people less understanding of what a toll on a small percentage of families it's taking.

Frank Drew
03-26-2011, 2:17 PM
I couldn't agree more, Glenn; I think it's shameful how servicemen and women and their families have to struggle to get by, the toll that low pay, frequent deployments, relocations, etc, have on those families. And that's not even touching the often deplorable treatment of wounded service people.

And as you rightly note, it's far from a shared burden; I wish we'd bring back national service (conscription), but I'd include various ways to serve -- teaching, rural medical/dental clinics, clean water projects,...)