PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP pro

Sandy Henry
03-20-2011, 8:45 AM
I'll be getting a new computer, dedicated to Epilog Legend 36 60 Watt. If I get latest operating sys. (Windows 7, I think it is?) & I've using XP pro, will the new sys cause problems with my old Epilog driver? I may be behind by 1 or 2 Epilog driver updates (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!) I could get Xp on a new computer if it would make my life easier.
Thank you for any advise. Sandy

Rodne Gold
03-20-2011, 9:30 AM
Use the same OS (if it ain't broke :) ), most new puters can be had with XP or 7

Michael Hunter
03-20-2011, 9:32 AM
This problem looms for me too.

I'm pretty sure that the 32-bit version of W7 is OK for the Epilog drivers, but seem to remember posts about problems with the 64-bit.
I have W7-32bit and Epilog drivers on my laptop, but haven't used it in anger as it is installed as a security backup in case the very old PC I use to drive the laser gives up the ghost.

Scott Shepherd
03-20-2011, 9:44 AM
You may check into this solution- Windows 7 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate have "XP Mode" in them. You can switch over to a virtual session running XP. This might work for you. You probably need to call Epilog or hope someone else can shed light on whether that's possible. Note that "XP Mode" is NOOOOOOTTTTTT in the basic Windows 7 package. You MUST get the Pro or Ultimate version to use that mode.

Joe De Medeiros
03-20-2011, 11:16 AM
The problem with the windows 7 64bit was the center to center function would do funny things. In any case you are worrying for nothing just install windows 7 32bit with the latest driver and be done with it.

John Noell
03-20-2011, 9:00 PM
The 32 bit driver is the same for Win 7 and XP. I started with the 64 bit driver on my new Win 7 computer and it darn near killed my laser (slamming the head around). I re-installed Win7 32 bit with the 32 bit Epilog driver and everything works perfectly. I think you will like Win 7 better than XP, but I still use both interchangeably with my laser.