PDA

View Full Version : Keller Jig Peachtree version assistance needed

tom coleman
03-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Apparently Keller's patent has expired and several companies Peachtree included now market replicas of the famous David Keller jig for easy to make thru dovetails. The Peachtree version appears to be an exact replica and offers a sturdy 15 inch comb metal template with which one uses bearing guided bits to make thru DTs or box joints. Peachtree offers a set of bits for use with different thickness of wood........std for for 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch, a second set for 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick wood and a 3RD Set for 1/8 inch thick wood. I bought the boxed set of 6 bits and (2) 15 inch template.

Bought the additional template for 2 reasons. Primarily to have 2 set ups one for 1/2 to 3/4 inch stock and a second set up for thin stock. Expect to be making primarily small boxes. I can also reconfigure and use both templates tied together end to end to make a blanket chest if I so desire which may be a one time event downstream.

Here's my question. Step one is to mount the comb template on a mounting block. The std set up is straight forward the mounting block must be 2 1/4 inch thick by 18 inches long and 6 inches tall if it will be used on a router table which I will do. I will laminate 3 layers of 3/4 inch MDF. Then groove the mounting block to attach T-track and Peachtree supplied hold downs for material being cut.

However, I'll need to make a 2nd mounting block for thinner stock. Sounds like this 2nd mounting block should be 3/8 inch wider than std one but the instructions are somewhat vague. Has anyone made this? How critical is the thickness of this mounting block?

I will play with this tomorrow and hopefully post pics soon of the completed jig and a set of keepsake boxes promised to 2 grandkids arriving next week from Colorado. Is it easy to post pics to this forum using my wife's blackberry camera?

Richard Coers
03-20-2011, 12:21 AM
I've had the Keller for a lot of years. You do need the thicker block, but it doesn't have to be really accurate. How much off? I would error on the thicker side. On the Keller, you get almost out to the end of the taper on the pins to make the small bit work. When you get thicker, you will limit the length of pin used on the back side, but you will have a ton of room since you are using thin stock. I would have to measure, but I bet you could use another 3/4 thickness and it would still work. Your first cuts are going to be a dusty mess with the MDF, but it will be a flat backer. Good luck.

tom coleman
03-20-2011, 1:56 AM
Thanks Richard,

From your suggestion, I conclude that I should laminate 4 pieces of 3/4 MDF for mounting block when working with very thin stock (1/8 inch to 1/4 inch).

Will do my initial trial cuts tomorrow using on hand 3/8 thick stock. Will the standard mounting block 2 1/4 inches thick be adequate or should I make it thicker?

I am looking forward to getting started, looked pretty simple at wood show. However I must use router table since my son borrowed my hand held router and I don't know when I'll see it again...........will probably buy the new Dewalt 611 shortly. I have a 3 1/4 horse PC in a router table w a Jessum lift which should suffice for this dovetailing project.

thanks