PDA

View Full Version : Pen Turning

Chris.hicks 82
03-19-2011, 10:51 PM
I just wanted to know if there is anyone here that make and sell pens for a living. I have a full time job but have 3 days off a week. I love woodworking and would like to one day do this for a living

David E Keller
03-19-2011, 11:08 PM
It would be a pretty tough way to make a living I'd suspect. The margins can be pretty slim on a lot of pens, and it's difficult to move a lot of product unless you do a bunch of shows. The IAP site would be a great resource for researching this topic... I know of several turners there who live on turning income, but they are overwhelmingly in the minority. Best of luck.

Brian McInturff
03-19-2011, 11:21 PM
I think it would be pretty hard to make a living just doing pens. To do so you would have to get away from kits and go pretty much all custom. There are a few people over on IAP that do make a good living selling pens but they do other items also. Most of those individuals incorporate various precious metals into their designs also. Selling pens and other "arts" is a great way to supplement your income and to fund the addiction. As for me, right now I give away most of my turnings. I've been approached to sell some turnings, pens, jewelry but I usually tell them they can have the items. But remember me when I become unemployed and I'd be more than happy to sell them items then.
I did ruin one hobby by trying to make a living from it. I was raised refinishing antiques and was good at it and enjoyed it. Upon leaving the military after 15 years I opened my own shop refinishing antiques. I did pretty good at it for the first year but burned myself out working 20hr days. I was afraid to spend any money and the wife and kids basically hated me during that year. I went from it being a relaxing hobby to a job that was going to kill me. I will still do some refinishing on the side - as a hobby and to help out friends but I try to avoid it because of the memories. Moral of the story is think long and hard about converting a hobby to the only source of income.

Jim Burr
03-19-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't make a living, but I pay for my bad habits with pen and stopper income. Well...not bad habits...not really bad anyway:rolleyes:

Jeff Fagen
03-19-2011, 11:22 PM
....I picture a guy with dark glasses and a cane sitting on a street corner.

Michael James
03-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Moral of the story is think long and hard about converting a hobby to the only source of income.

Quickest way in the universe to contaminate the joy! Been there, done that.

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2011, 11:50 PM
I sell quite a few pens and a lot of them are high end kits. Some make pretty good money but haven't heard of any making a living off it. I do pretty well with mine and make enough for wood, tools, etc.

Chris.hicks 82
03-19-2011, 11:51 PM
I have a pretty good job now but I hate working for someone who is making a fortune off of my hard work just looking to do something I love to make ends meet. I have no bug bills I was able to pay off my house and most of my bills but I do have kids so I will have bills for at least the next 18 years of my life. I also don't think that just pens will do it. I am thinking bigger projects custom furniture here and there and whatever a customer comes up to me and say they want.

Darren Jamieson
03-20-2011, 7:54 AM
Chris, I know exactly where you are coming from. 14 months ago I shut down my buisiness(contractor) to come home and look after my kids full time. In acouple more years they will both be in school at least half a day but I need to find something to do in my off time. I am fortunate enough that my wife makes a good living so whatever I do it isn't going to be the only income. It would however be nice if it would pay for my kids education or if nothing else a couple of nice trips a year and still have enough left over to pay for the odd new tool here and there. In the mean time I still need a new lathe, bandsaw, disk sander, drum sander, and lots of wood. I did some pens at X-mas and as fast as I turned them they sold, I got excited. Since then I have heard from knowone and now I no that it would take alot more then pens to make it work. Good luck and I hope you find something.:)

Michelle Rich
03-20-2011, 8:08 AM
Nice dream. Before you put the cart before the horse, you must learn turning & woodworking. After that you must be unique in your market. Will you be better than your competition? Will you stand out in a group? Are you willing to make things that sell, vs. what you think will sell, or what intersts you? I know from experience that just because the folks at SMC like something (they view it differently than your buyers) doesn't mean beans out in the real world. Woodworkers appreciate the skill of the maker & the wood they use..buyers don't generally know squat about woodworking or turning. They buy what catches their eye. I wish you good luck in your dream. I've been living it 25 yrs and I have done just well enough to keep my head about water in a 2" deep pool.

Chris.hicks 82
03-20-2011, 6:09 PM
I know I have a lot to learn before I can really sell anything good enough to make a good enough profit. My wife doesn't work now but would really like to go to work but thats not for a while so it gives me time to learn at least 3 years closer to 5 years. In the mean time I can sell what I make to buy better tools. Better tools mean faster work and more profit. With the setup I have now it takes me 30 minutes to 1 hour to make a pen. I have to change setups on my Shopsmith for each step. I also need to move my shop to the garage and out of the basement for more room. One step at a time I will get there someday.

Don Alexander
03-20-2011, 10:32 PM
part of the problem with trying to make a living at it is that there are seemingly large numbers of pretty good woodturners either selling very cheap or just giving their work away and while that is certainly their perogative it does make it tough to make a living at it

Adam Alloway
03-21-2011, 1:24 PM
Once you turn a hobby into your income it becomes a job. Just turn enjoy and sell and give away the stuff. most of mine i give away I would rather have fun and sell something here and there because I want to not because they ordered it.

Carl Civitella
03-22-2011, 7:39 AM
I know I have a lot to learn before I can really sell anything good enough to make a good enough profit. My wife doesn't work now but would really like to go to work but thats not for a while so it gives me time to learn at least 3 years closer to 5 years. In the mean time I can sell what I make to buy better tools. Better tools mean faster work and more profit. With the setup I have now it takes me 30 minutes to 1 hour to make a pen. I have to change setups on my Shopsmith for each step. I also need to move my shop to the garage and out of the basement for more room. One step at a time I will get there someday. Whats the rush ? 1 or 2 pens hour means 8 to 16 pens in a 8 hour day times 5 days week yields about 40 to 80 pens. You have a market that will take them every week ?
I am rushed selling two items a month..but then again nobody ever called me flash.. Carl

Lee Koepke
03-22-2011, 8:07 AM
Adam has a GREAT point.

I do exactly what he said .... make something ... sell a few here and there. I have learned to not sell cheaply though, if someone wants a cutting board ... my price is what it is .... they want cheap, there's a walmart at every corner.

The few times in my shop that I haven't enjoyed is when I am building something for someone else ... their thoughts, their designs. I don't like that one bit. The one thing I can say is ... everything I make is MINE ... its part of me.

Take your time, it will come around! I just sold my 5th pen last night at dinner to the same guy that bought my first one ... its timing and opportunity

jared herbert
03-22-2011, 8:32 AM
My experience is that if you do enough of anything it turns into work. Work gets old in a hurry. I have tried that route and it seems like I eventually get burned out on what ever I do. I used to make a lot of shaker boxes and sold hundreds of them. At the moment I have material to make a bunch more of them in my shop. It has been there for 5 years but Idont really have any desire to make them . I guess maybe I am lucky that I am in the position that I can let them sit. Just something to thing about. Jared

Steve Kubien
03-22-2011, 2:59 PM
I actually created a business plan which centred around selling pens through stores, galleries and some person-to-person. Let me tell you, it was a work of fiction! I think the way to do it would be to use the better kits and platings and charge a god-fearing amount for them. Let's say you take one hour for each unit. Figure on $15-20 for a better kit and maybe $5 per blank for nice wood. Take that $20-$25 and charge $125-$150 for the finished item. Yup, pay yourself $100 per hour. In a few years if you are smart and pro-active you will have a decent repeat business.

By the way, in those few years you will drop the time it takes to make a really nice pen to perhaps 10-15 minutes, so 4 pens per hour. That's $400 per hour or, based on a 40 hour work week, $800,000 per year.

Not sure where I am going with this... just rambling......

Chris.hicks 82
03-22-2011, 5:39 PM
I don't need $800,000/year I was thinking about $25,000 at the most. Like I said I don't have many bills my house is paid off my car will be paid off in 6 months so pretty sure $25k will cover the bills.

Dan Hintz
03-22-2011, 5:55 PM
By the way, in those few years you will drop the time it takes to make a really nice pen to perhaps 10-15 minutes, so 4 pens per hour. That's $400 per hour or, based on a 40 hour work week, $800,000 per year.
<chuckle> Anyone who seriously thinks they can make 4 kit pens an hour and sell them for $125/each needs more than a business plan, they need their medication checked.

Chris.hicks 82
03-22-2011, 6:30 PM
You mean I can't make $800k a year making pens damn!!!!!!!!!!!