PDA

View Full Version : Wixey Digital Angle Guage Question

Norman Hitt
03-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm curious if I'm doing something wrong. In Feb 2009 I got a Wixey TS Fence Digital readout, AND it came with a free Angle guage. I guess I kind of overlooked it in the packing and never took it out. Of course later I wondered where I had put it. Well, I found it yesterday, still in the box so I put the battery in and turned it on, then zeroed it on the computer desk then turned it over 90* at the same spot on the desk and oriented the same direction, but it did not read 90*. I then rotated it 180* and it still did not read 90*. I turned it off and back on and re zeroed it several times repeating the above movements but never once did It read 90*.

I thought maybe I am doing something wrong, (I hope so), because even though I just opened the box, I'm sure it is Looooooong out of warranty. Has anyone else had these results? Is there a fix for this?

I just tried it again, zeroed it (it reads o.o), rolled left = 89.5, rolled right 90.5.

I hope I'm doing something wrong as I was really looking forward to using it.
Thanks for any info

Alan Schaffter
03-19-2011, 11:55 PM
The reason you are not getting good results is that you are using it incorrectly.

The sides of the gauge are NOT reference surfaces. The only reference surface is the bottom with the magnets. The only thing your test is telling you is that the sides of the gauge are not perpendicular to the bottom.

keith micinski
03-20-2011, 1:56 AM
I agree with Alan. In a perfect world the box your using to measure precise measurements should be perfectly square but apparently it isn't. You'll also find that you get more accurate results if you make sure you place the box as close to perpendicular to the reference surface as you can.

Norman Hitt
03-20-2011, 2:53 AM
Aha!! That's great to know. I guess I should have known that, but I committed the proverbial Woodworkers Sin and "Assumed"......................:rolleyes: Sheesh, I'm way more than old enough to know better than that.:D

Yeah, Keith, the perpendicular part I had figured out, but not the other part.

Thanks to both Alan and Keith for the info, (I'm really glad that it was MY stupidity instead of a faulty instrument).