PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Faceplate to Tailstock Live Center on Jet 1642

David Moore CA
03-19-2011, 10:14 PM
I've found a couple threads touching on this subject but can't find the "solution." I have bought a One-Way Adaptor to put on the Jet Live Center on my 1642 but it only threads on to the first thread. I have a Theobald Large Cone that threads on fine. Anyone found an adaptor that will work? I guess one alternative would be to buy a One Way Live Center but that seems an expensive solution. Any ideas?

John Keeton
03-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Aren't the One-Way accessories mostly metric?? I don't know, but I understood the spindle on their lathe is metric. Just a thought.

David Moore CA
03-19-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure, the One Way chucks seem to work fine on my Jet lathe. And as I mentioned the Theobald Cone, which is from Wyoming, threads on the One Way Adaptor. I'm figuring though that I must not be the only guy on Sawmill Creek with a Jet 1642 who has wanted to attach a faceplate to the tailstock live center.

Fred Belknap
03-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Penn State Ind. has an adapter that fits in the M2 of the tailstock if the spindle thread is 1"x8. I think it is $35.

Michael James
03-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Penn State Ind. has an adapter that fits in the M2 of the tailstock if the spindle thread is 1"x8. I think it is $35.
Yes, I have one and it is great for squaring the piece up for turning the bottom, but it is NOT designed to use with lathe on. Not sure if this is your intention or not.

Brent Grooms
03-20-2011, 6:27 AM
I bought one of the adapters that you mention and had similar problems. After buying the dies/taps to chase the threads and still not fixing the problem I took it in to the machine shop at work where the milled off a smidge on the ID. No problems since. Something about the way they cut their threads.

Darren Jamieson
03-20-2011, 7:24 AM
Yes, I have one and it is great for squaring the piece up for turning the bottom, but it is NOT designed to use with lathe on. Not sure if this is your intention or not.
I just ordered one of these and I didn't read anywhere that it said not to use with the lath running. What it is the piont of it being a live center if you can't use it?

Michelle Rich
03-20-2011, 7:30 AM
It is to be used ONLY for reversing a vessel for vacuum chucking

Dan Hintz
03-20-2011, 7:36 AM
I bought one of the adapters that you mention and had similar problems. After buying the dies/taps to chase the threads and still not fixing the problem I took it in to the machine shop at work where the milled off a smidge on the ID. No problems since. Something about the way they cut their threads.
I purchased a couple of the PSI adaptors before my lathes came in (wasn't sure which ones I'd be using), and I sold one to a friend for use on his PM90... it wobbled. It wasn't a problem with the threads, per se, but the entire shaft of the adaptor was threaded at an angle. It sounds like whomever is doing PSI's machine work needs to machine their machines ;)

Russell Eaton
03-20-2011, 7:43 AM
Highland sells a adapter that will go from the stock live center threads to the 1" x 8tpi of the headstock. I am not sure of the part number but I know they have them.

John Keeton
03-20-2011, 8:03 AM
The live center adapter from PSI - http://www.pennstateind.com/graphics/100px/LTCA18.jpg (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LTCA18.html) seems to work fine while turning. I have used it several times with a chuck attached. There is some slight runout, but it is minimal, and sufficiently accurate to do what I need to do. It is only available in 3/4" x 8 tpi, so your faceplate would need that thread.

Fred Belknap
03-20-2011, 8:27 AM
The live center adapter from PSI - http://www.pennstateind.com/graphics/100px/LTCA18.jpg (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LTCA18.html) seems to work fine while turning. I have used it several times with a chuck attached. There is some slight runout, but it is minimal, and sufficiently accurate to do what I need to do. It is only available in 3/4" x 8 tpi, so your faceplate would need that thread.

I just looked in the catalog and it fits 1"x8tpi or 3/4"x16tpi. I have one that I used as a live center a few times and it did very well. It won't fit my larger lathe so I went with the Oneway live center and an adapter, I liked the PSI chuck adapter better.

John Keeton
03-20-2011, 8:33 AM
I think one could simply use a spindle adapter (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LABAR4114.html)on the live center adapter to fit your existing lathe.

Or, since the OP is wanting to affix a faceplate, just get a faceplate that is 1 x 8.

Peter Fabricius
03-20-2011, 10:37 AM
This topic started with a question about the Oneway Adaptor and the fit onto live centres....
The Oneway Adaptor is internally threaded with 3/4 x10 TPI and the outside larger thread is sized to fit the Chuck that you have. It simulates the spindle size so for most it will be 1" x 8TPI. My Nova DVR XP has a spindle thread with 1.25" x 8TPI so that is the size of the external thread on the Oneway Adaptor. The internal threads fit on the Oneway Live Centre.
Hope this helps.
Peter F.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2011, 10:47 AM
David - I remember reading about a problem that happened when trying to mix Oneway and Jet live centers. Apparently, because of legal issues, Jet changed the threads ever so slightly on their live center in order to be different than Oneway.

Here is a very old thread that discussed this very problem: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?23740-Jet-1642-EVS

Brent Grooms
03-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Just a couple points of clarification...

The internal thread on the Oneway adapter is 3/4-10 as is the threading on the live center used on the PM (assuming the Jet as well - I expect them to be one in the same unit)

You can go out and buy both die and tap in 3/4-10 and they will thread in/on all parts involved. Now the link in Steve's post references a bit of a legal issue that was between Oneway and Jet/Powermatic/WMH.

I am assuming that one of the parties had to change their design slightly to clean up the legal issues and again, assuming, that this change manifested itself in a deviation from the standards for thread fit/class on the live center threading.

The short version / simplified... if you want to use the Oneway adaptor on a Jet/PM live center... you may need to modify it. In my case, it involved reaming the ID taking IRC 0.050" off the thread, effectively reducing the major/minor diameter of the thread. After this change, I have no problem using the Oneway adaptor.

Darren Jamieson
03-20-2011, 12:14 PM
I am soory if I hijacked this tread but is the PSI live center chuck adapter ok for turning or not? I don't want to hurt myself when I turn it on if that is not what it is used for.

Joyce Baldauf
03-20-2011, 5:46 PM
I think this might fit the job.

This is an essential accessory for use in Vacuum Chucking applications. It allows you to center a partially turned bowl on a vacuum chuck without removing the bowl from your lathe chuck or face plate. Simply screw this into your chuck or face plate and insert into your tailstock. The threaded area is made of aluminum then permanently attached to a hardened and ground steel Morse Taper Arbor. This is designed for accurately positioning only and is not for use under power.

*** NEW LOWER PRICE ***

ARBOR SIZE:

1" - 8 TPI has a #2 Morse Taper
1" - 12 TPI has a #2 Morse Taper
1-1/4" - 8 TPI has a #2 Morse Taper
1-1/2" - 8 TPI has a #2 Morse Taper
33 x 3.5mm has a #3 Morse Taper
Other Sizes Available on request.

*** NOT FOR USE IN SPINDLES ***

TAILSTOCK CHUCK ADAPTERS/CHUCK REVERSING ADAPTERS

ET-XXXChuck_Size:

This can be purchased at bestwoodtools.com for $24.95.

David Moore CA
03-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. Some apply to my situation more than others but the bottom line is sounds like there isn't a simple answer. I'm not sure about your suggestion Joyce, I don't have a vacuum system at this point so not sure if that would work for me?

Joyce Baldauf
03-24-2011, 10:38 PM
David,

The item from Best Wood Tools will work to center a chuck or face plate mounted turning on a donut chuck in addition to a vacuum chuck.