PDA

View Full Version : Glad I didn't go to PATINA -- and a few minor gloats

Kevin Foley
03-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love PATINA, been many times. I've been aggressively guarding PATINA Saturday against all who would schedule me to do something else -- possibly constructive -- with the day. But when the time came to put the pedal to the floor and head out I realized I had a day reserved, haven't had shop time in ages due to ailing relatives (and dog), and I finished a bench about 9 months ago and haven't yet used it to make a single shaving. At PATINA I would sell some stuff out the back of the car then attend the sale to see tools that I already have or ones that i don't have because I can't afford them. I could chat with people that I have met online but in general I don't. I clam up. So a pot of coffee later I chuck the first piece of rough lumber into the face vise and secure the other end with a dog and start chipping the edge with a scrub, then refine it with a No. 8. I've never had a dedicated ww bench. My last bench was a section of bowling alley -- the pine part, not the maple part -- that is so closely nailed that there is no place to drill a 3/4" dog hole. It had ww vise on one end and a metalworking vise on the other. I did some woodworking on but also fixed the lawnmower, worked on car parts, plumbing parts, pounded metal etc., etc, etc. Less than ideal. So the first shavings on new bench deserve a picture or two -- attached if anyone is interested.

About the time I get tired pushing a No.8 around the mail arrives with a Stanley No.2 procured from from the world's largest online yardsale. It proves to be a type 8 and in decent shape. I tapped out a minor ding in the cap iron, and ground, ground, ground the iron to get past the evidence of a previous owner's habit of planing nails. It was soon making some long, thin shavings. I thought of a No. 2 as an embarrassing collector's shelf ornament. It wasn't exactly a well planned, informed purchase. I was home sick, heavily medicated, capable of little but ebaying and not in the mood to be [I'll just remove this so somebody else won't have to] with. I remember telling my brother "If I ever buy a No. 2 plane, please shoot me". I'll have to revise that to a No. 1. Patrick Leach in his PBG seems to strain to come up with a use for it, saying "Its small size permits it to work smaller areas more effectively than the larger and more common #4". A few quick shaving though and it's like a block plane with a two-handed grip and incredible control. I can see it being really useful. Cool. A picture of this follows also -- piggybacked on a No.8. I'll stop rambling now.

Best to all,

Kevin

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-20-2011, 6:53 AM
Man, those are the best days, aren't they? The bench looks great. I've been thinking I want a number 2 lately - it seems like it might hit the sweet spot for a lot of the medium-small work I do on guitars... almost picked one up for a little more than I should spend at an antique sale yesterday, but couldn't justify it (I instead spent a little more than I should on a backsaw).

I'm jealous of getting to turn down an auction like that though; around here I only have access to overpriced junk and antique shops, where every rusty number four is labelled as "RARE AND UNIQUE" and priced according to whatever the seller saw Jim Bode sell a type one for, plus another 30% for their trouble. Of course, I'd probably still do what you did if I had the option.

Looks like a pretty piece of wood there, too.

Dave Anderson NH
03-20-2011, 8:15 AM
I understand you choice Kevin. Now this might be heresy, but I pretty much have most of the tools I want or need, both hand and power. I am fortunate in being about a 40 minute drive from where the Spring and Fall Live Free or Die auctions and tailgate sessions are held in NH and I have a good antique tool dealer (Old Boston Tool Room) 15 minutes away. I have in the past 2-3 years taken a Friday vacation day on auction dates. Depending on the weather, my level of motivation, and whether or not I have any projects going, I sometimes stay home and get some shop time. The social aspects of the auctions are nice, but sometimes solitude in the shop is even better.

Kevin Foley
03-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Dave,

I now have more tools than I need and tools that are capable of better performance than I can muster. Back to the shop!

I was born just down the road from you in Manchester. My grandfather was into many tool-intensive trades in Manchester in the early-to-mid 1900's and had the basement full of tools for all trades. All were dispersed before my immediate family left. I imagine a few pass occasionally through garage sales if not dealers in the area. I don't pass though Manchester very often but will have to add The Old Boston Tool Room to my itinerary -- thank you. I usually head to the Currier to see Dunlap furniture and to the Zimmerman House -- and maybe the Puritan for clams -- unavailable where I live.

Best regards,

Kevin

Dave Anderson NH
03-20-2011, 3:47 PM
Next time you are up this way Kevin PM me a few days in advance and maybe we can get together. I'm 20 minutes out of Manchester.

Kevin Foley
03-21-2011, 6:25 PM
Thanks. I'll take you up on that.

Best,

Kevin