PDA

View Full Version : NSK Presto and bits for piercing questions

Scott Hackler
03-19-2011, 9:14 PM
I recently picked a up a slightly used NSK Presto that came with a foot control and regulator. The regulator looks to be marked at .1 to .4 on the dial. Isn't that too lean even cranked all the way up?

Also, I bought some diamond bur bits and it seems like they kinda burn the wood (box elder) that I was messing with. Is the prefered bits for piercing your turnings diamond bur or carbide?

Thanks

Cathy Schaewe
03-19-2011, 10:06 PM
It's my understanding (and I know absolutely nothing) that the high-speed ones like the NSK presto do burn the wood. I'm sure somebody will chip in here - I'd love to hear some thoughts, especially about the bits.

Peter Hay in Aus
03-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Scott I have a Presto in answer the pressure they run at is max 35psi for normal use. I bought a nail gun compressor with regulator, your foot control only reduces then stops air pressure this varies the speed one way cant speak for your unit, you will get used to finding the right speed. Look up SKF Presto on google there is a master at using this unit in Arizona who also sells the correct burrs and the units. Best price for the Presto was interesting from Googling. I forget the Company in Florida with a German Name. They dont burn bits Cathy people do as in Drill Bits use the usual care.

Trust this is some help, have fun Peter.

Cecil Walborn
03-20-2011, 10:20 AM
I do pierce carving. The diamond bits are for metal and class engraving. For pierce carving or any wood carving with a turbo carver you need carbide bits. Diamond does burn in wood, but so does carbide. Carbide can also cut with out burning once you learn how to use them. I like the burn effect on the pieces I have done. But when you are running at about 350,000 or 400,000 rpm's you are going to burn any wood. The air pressure is 25 to 35 pounds on most of the carvers. I get mine for Wood Carvers Supply in Florida and some carbide also Treeline in Utah has some carbide bits. I do not know if this answers or helps to answer your question.