PDA

View Full Version : Messing around with burl caps

David E Keller
03-19-2011, 9:09 PM
So I have this box of little Aussie burl caps, and I pick one up every now and then but usually end up throwing it back in the box. Today, I had a little turning time, and I pulled one out of the box that actually made it to the lathe. This started as 6" x 4" x 2" red mallee burl cap. After I finished the bottom and reversed it, an idea came into my head. Why not try for a miniature HF in the middle of it? This is what I ended up with. The pedestal is holly with India ink. If you look closely, you can see that the pedestal base warped just a bit from the addition of the ink.:mad: It still sits upright, so I guess it's not that big a deal. I did a little pyrography around the opening of the hollow form just to pick up a little of the black in the pedestal. It's finished with shellac and one coat of WOP thus far. It's about 6 inches wide and tall.

I thought about a finial for the HF, but to keep it proportional to the HF it would be too small for the overall piece. The inspiration for this piece was from a Jimmy Clewes video where he did something similar.

As always, comments and criticism appreciated.

Roger Chandler
03-19-2011, 9:15 PM
Most unusual I have seen in a while.....very creative! You really highlighted the burl, and you have a nice pedestal as well. I really like your finial idea, and think you should revisit that possibility...........I think you could make one that compliments the piece and does not compete with it. Good stuff, David!

David DeCristoforo
03-19-2011, 9:15 PM
That's just too cool for words!

Russell Eaton
03-19-2011, 9:18 PM
That is very nice, looks like someone has been thinking outside the box.

patrick stein
03-19-2011, 9:22 PM
david,
very nice way cool

patrick

Richard Madden
03-19-2011, 9:33 PM
You have something different there, that's for sure! Am I understanding correctly that the little hollowform is part of the main form, and not turned seperately and glued on?? Nice work.

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2011, 9:45 PM
Don't know what to say but Wow. Really just to cool David.

David E Keller
03-19-2011, 10:01 PM
You have something different there, that's for sure! Am I understanding correctly that the little hollowform is part of the main form, and not turned seperately and glued on?? Nice work.

Yes, it's all turned as one piece... It would have been easier to just glue it on.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Cathy Schaewe
03-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Yeah, what they all said! That is really neat. This is just my opinion, but I'm not sure you would have to keep a finial perfectly proportional to the HF, given the mass underneath it. JMO.

Excellent!
ps - I started to turn my one and only aussie burl yesterday, and pretty quick put it right back on the shelf. Dusty and hard as heck.

John Keeton
03-19-2011, 10:06 PM
David, I really, really like the form - all of it. The pedestal is nice, but IMO this piece deserves something different. One thought on a finial would be to do a multi-piece that would pick up on the stamen idea - sort of an exotic flower, lily pad, concept. Just a thought - as I realize the scale gets a little difficult to do at this point.

Very creative, and very well done!

gary Zimmel
03-19-2011, 10:07 PM
That is one sweet piece David....

Baxter Smith
03-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Very pretty and unique! Great combo and job David!

Ron Stadler
03-19-2011, 10:27 PM
speechless, it take good tool control to pull something like that off. Beautiful piece David, keep up the good work, hope that pedestal don't warp any more on ya.

Brian McInturff
03-19-2011, 10:48 PM
David, very well done sir! Since you did the pyro on it I don't think a finial would work too well. I like it the way it is. I do think on your next one could be a little bigger on the hollow form which gives you a little more flexibility for the finial. Which Clewes video did you see this on as I don''t remember seeing anything like this. Just too cool!!

Curt Fuller
03-19-2011, 11:10 PM
David, Wow!
I'm not familiar with the Jimmy Clewes video, but I have to guess that even with his inspiration, this has to be one of the most unique turnings I've seen. I really like it.

Now, as to the technical aspects of turning something like this, how in the heck did you do it? I've done some wild edged natural pieces but never with something where I had to get down and under the bottom of a HF while the wings of the base are trying give me the nickname, "stubby". What kind of tool did you use to get the lower 1/3 of the HF portion? If it's a secret, I understand. But that really has me in awe and scratching my head. This is one of those turnings that really fascinates me. Beautiful work!

Jim Burr
03-19-2011, 11:20 PM
You have been practicing on your patients again!! I'm not sure about the burn on the HF and think John's idea of a stamin/finial is really cool. The simple base is really great. How did you get underneath the HF and clean that out...special Ortho only tool? Really over the top!!

Michael James
03-19-2011, 11:24 PM
OUTSTANDING! David if you need a drier climate for that to finish settling in, let me know. I will find a safe space for it! I think you should get yer pimp avatar back for this one!:cool:
mj

David E Keller
03-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks folks.

Yeah, what they all said! That is really neat. This is just my opinion, but I'm not sure you would have to keep a finial perfectly proportional to the HF, given the mass underneath it. JMO.

Excellent!
ps - I started to turn my one and only aussie burl yesterday, and pretty quick put it right back on the shelf. Dusty and hard as heck.

I think you're right, Cathy, but I couldn't figure out what would look right. Maybe on a future turning... I've still got a few more in the box. Yes, the Aussie burls are hard and a bit dusty, but they finish beautifully. Since the dust collector, I don't mind the dusty stuff nearly as much.

...IMO this piece deserves something different. One thought on a finial would be to do a multi-piece that would pick up on the stamen idea - sort of an exotic flower, lily pad, concept. Just a thought - as I realize the scale gets a little difficult to do at this point...

That's an interesting idea, John. Your right about the scale of things, but I really enjoy working small at times. I'll keep it in mind for the next one.

... Which Clewes video did you see this on as I don''t remember seeing anything like this. Just too cool!!

Disc three from 'Turn It Up'... He does a double turning from a mallee burl cap with a spun silver insert.

David, Wow!
I'm not familiar with the Jimmy Clewes video, but I have to guess that even with his inspiration, this has to be one of the most unique turnings I've seen. I really like it.

Now, as to the technical aspects of turning something like this, how in the heck did you do it? I've done some wild edged natural pieces but never with something where I had to get down and under the bottom of a HF while the wings of the base are trying give me the nickname, "stubby". What kind of tool did you use to get the lower 1/3 of the HF portion? If it's a secret, I understand. But that really has me in awe and scratching my head. This is one of those turnings that really fascinates me. Beautiful work!

Thanks, Curt. You should know that I don't have any secrets. What I do have are a bunch of funny looking screwdrivers... I repurposed a number of different screwdrivers into wicked looking scrapers. They look a bit like a claw on the end allowing for a scraping cut on the bottom of the HF and the opposing surface of the NE piece... In other words, it's a concave scraper on one side and convex on the other.

It's a little hairy when you get right into the corner with the thing because it's cutting on both surfaces at once. In the Clewes video referenced above, he regrinds an old scraper if I recall correctly. It would be much harder to do this form with something that scrapes less well than the Aussie stuff.

Jon Nuckles
03-19-2011, 11:58 PM
David, that is fantastic, both in concept and execution. It looks great to me as it stands right now. In picture #3, the hf appears to have a bit more shine than the rest of the burl cap, and it looks like a little gem sitting on a leaf. Thanks for the explanation on cleaning up between the two "parts;" that had me scratching my head. I can imagine a bit of held breath while taking the last pass or two there!

Brian Effinger
03-20-2011, 12:07 AM
I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, so I'll just say: Sweet!!! :D

Oh, and since I have my club's dvd library here, I know what I'm watching when I'm done with the creek in a few minutes.

Tim Thiebaut
03-20-2011, 12:37 AM
It has all been said above...this is amazing!

Dan Forman
03-20-2011, 1:16 AM
David---That turned out really nice. I'm also wondering how you got the lower part of the the small form and the area of the large form below it? Ooops, just read the rest of the thread -- never mind.

Dan

Michelle Rich
03-20-2011, 7:57 AM
It's a wonderment! beautifully crafted. The little bowl in the big field will have to grow on me..golly that cap is gorgeous..

Johnny Taylor
03-20-2011, 8:18 AM
David, this is a really sweet piece :) The only(very slight) criticism is that I feel it would look a lot more delicate if the edges were just a bit thinner than they are but all i all a very impressive piece.

Jim Adkins
03-20-2011, 8:55 AM
David...very nice piece of art. really like the flow of this one, well proportioned and
a very nicely finished piece. You did good!!
Jim

Bill Wilcox
03-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I am really enjoying the look of this piece. I looks like a very big oak leaf with a small hollow gall growing on it.
Love it!!!! Great work.

Darren Jamieson
03-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I have to agree woth Curt on this one, I see alot of broken or at least badly brused knucles with this one. The pucker facter is diffinatly in and around 9. Great job and an even better finish.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Impressive! Reminds me of some sort of exotic flower! Very - very nice work!

Allan Ferguson
03-20-2011, 3:27 PM
really, really like it and more than like.

David E Keller
03-20-2011, 3:34 PM
Thanks folks. I appreciate the comments and feedback.

David, this is a really sweet piece :) The only(very slight) criticism is that I feel it would look a lot more delicate if the edges were just a bit thinner than they are but all i all a very impressive piece.

I agree with you Johnny, but I think the edges look thicker in the photos than in person. It's right around an eighth or maybe 3/16", and I don't have the bollocks to go thinner:eek::D. I truly appreciate the feedback.

Tony De Masi
03-20-2011, 3:57 PM
Now that is just one fantastic piece David. You can go through all the should have, could have. ought to, stuff, but if were me I would just leave it alone.
JMO of course.

John W Dixon
03-20-2011, 4:29 PM
Goodness sakes that is cool.

Mark Hubl
03-20-2011, 5:26 PM
Very very nice David. Glad to see you get some turning and photo time in. This piece is really interesting, a technical tour de force. Works for me just the way it is!