PDA

View Full Version : Oak HF with a twisted finial

Richard Madden
03-19-2011, 8:19 PM
187357187358I sent this one to my brother and sister-in-law. Red Oak, and the finial is exotic white pear, the lid is holly, both dyed black, and the threaded portion and collar are olivewood. Finished with WOP and buffed. C & C welcome.

Jim Burr
03-19-2011, 8:27 PM
WoW!! I'm a sucker for that finial Richard. Red oak may not be my first choice for a "blow-me-out-of-the-water" form, but that all works really well. Beautiful thread job...could you have gotten away with just 3-4 threads or was something else in the mix. Amazing!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2011, 8:30 PM
Beautiful piece and finial Richard. Really nice threading job.

Richard Madden
03-19-2011, 9:16 PM
WoW!! I'm a sucker for that finial Richard. Red oak may not be my first choice for a "blow-me-out-of-the-water" form, but that all works really well. Beautiful thread job...could you have gotten away with just 3-4 threads or was something else in the mix. Amazing!!

Thanks for the comments, Jim. I usually do leave 3-4 threads. The pictures don't show it, but the collar is recessed a bit. The thing I shoot for is a lid that takes about 2 revolutions to open/close. This wound up being around 2-1/2.

Harry Robinette
03-19-2011, 9:43 PM
Very nice,the top is really fantastic.

Cathy Schaewe
03-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Really, really nice. Maybe in another couple of years ....

John Keeton
03-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Richard, this one I like. Personally, for the spiral finials you do, I think woods with prominent grain patterns (not figure, but grain) are not best. This piece is muted enough that it lets the finial shine. Nice work!

Ron Stadler
03-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Looks awesome to me, I just love oak. Good job on the threads, I guess olive wood is good for taking threads?

Baxter Smith
03-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Very nice job Richard on all the components. JMO but the last couple you have posted didn't seem to grab my attention like I thought they might have. When thinking about why that is, all I could come up with was I seem to admire the twisted finial work you have done more when the HF itself was made of plain/bland wood. Just my personal impression on a very nice piece!

Richard Madden
03-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Very nice job Richard on all the components. JMO but the last couple you have posted didn't seem to grab my attention like I thought they might have. When thinking about why that is, all I could come up with was I seem to admire the twisted finial work you have done more when the HF itself was made of plain/bland wood. Just my personal impression on a very nice piece!

I appreciate the opinions, Baxter. I know the Red Bud one didn't seem too favorable among the masses here, but it is probably one of my favorites. That's what opinions are all about. I think I have two more I'd like to show, then I will be giving these twisted thingies a rest. I'm wanting to try some basket illusion work, thanks to Mr. Adkins.

Michael James
03-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Another nice one Richard. Looks beautiful to me and I LOVE those finials! Thanks for posting. Good luck on the next lessons as well.

Michelle Rich
03-20-2011, 7:54 AM
ooohh cool finial...( a negative space finial :-) :-0 ) Fantastic job. it's a delight

charlie knighton
03-20-2011, 10:15 AM
very nice.....

David E Keller
03-20-2011, 10:26 AM
This is a beautiful finial, Richard. If this is the same form I've seen posted at WTA, it looks even better in these photos. Nicely done.

Darren Jamieson
03-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Well done Richard, again oak isn't normally my favorite but on this peice it works perfectly. If you haven't already I would love to see a how to on those finials.

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Nice work Richard! Your brother and SIL will love it! Hard to tell in the photos - how tall is the piece?

Rick Markham
03-20-2011, 2:43 PM
I think it is fantastic! I like the Red Oak, it works! I too would love to see a how to, on the twisted finial. Great Job!

Richard Madden
03-20-2011, 3:41 PM
Nice work Richard! Your brother and SIL will love it! Hard to tell in the photos - how tall is the piece?

Thanks for the comments. I emailed my brother for the dimensions...wrote it down somewhere, now I can't find it!!

Brian Effinger
03-20-2011, 4:44 PM
That is a cool finial. :cool: Not to mention, a threaded lid. How long do those finials take? From just the looks of it, I think you have more patience than I. :)

Mark Hubl
03-20-2011, 5:32 PM
As always Richard, very nice work. I hope you don't stop doing the finials for too long, I like where you have been going.

Richard Madden
03-20-2011, 5:44 PM
That is a cool finial. :cool: Not to mention, a threaded lid. How long do those finials take? From just the looks of it, I think you have more patience than I. :)

Thanks, Brian, and thanks to everyone else for the nice comments. Making one of these finials probably takes me 2-3 hours although I've never timed it. I never have done one in one sitting (or standing). I'll work on it a while then switch to something else or just quit for a bit. I don't get in a hurry, and I'm a slow worker anyway. I've heard that Stuart Mortimer does these in 45 min. in demos!!! He is the master with these and I don't doubt it, but I sure would like to see it.

john taliaferro
03-20-2011, 9:25 PM
I would have to agree with John ,the oak lets the finial shine ,but i like the defect in the oak . Good eye ,thanks .

Richard Madden
03-20-2011, 9:58 PM

Steve, this piece measures 12" tall by 4-1/2".