PDA

View Full Version : New Dust Collector Intalled

Christopher Windsor
03-19-2011, 5:06 PM
I've just installed an Oneida 3HP Gorilla and have run some of the duct work (8" at the cyclone; 7" trunk lines). When I turn the system on, it pulls the 33 gallon fiber drum up off the floor... is this normal? I get VERY good suction at the tools.

Chris

Phil Thien
03-19-2011, 5:12 PM
It is fine. All that matters is that there are no leaks between the cyclone and the drum. Once you start getting some dust (weight) in the drum, it will fall back down.

If it bothers you, you can always use a longer piece of hose there, or a piece of stiffer hose.

Christopher Windsor
03-19-2011, 5:16 PM
Thanks Phil... yeah, I assumed when it got a bit loaded, it wouldn't matter... this is my first experience with a "real" dust collector and I gotta say this thing has some serious suction.

dan lemkin
03-19-2011, 6:57 PM
mine does the same thing. It sinks when it fills. If you have not done so, you should consider getting the vacuum adapter that allows you to use plastic bags. It makes it much cleaner to empty/change.

When planing, I can fill that 35gal can in about 5 minutes. Hand packing the container allows you to run a few more boards through.

If it bothers you, you can always use a longer piece of hose there, or a piece of stiffer hose.

I would recommend against this... The hose that comes with it is pretty stiff. Once you turn it off, it will settle back down. When you try to remove the top, any extra hose will make it more difficult to get the top off the canister. As it is, it produces some significant opposing pressure.

Bernie May
03-20-2011, 5:43 AM
I never liked my 2.5 HP Oneida lifting up when empty either; so I put a couple pieces of 4x4 on the top to hold it down.

Aaron Rowland
03-20-2011, 10:53 AM
8" duct to 7"? That's a bit big for a 3 HP Cyclone. What diameter impeller does that thing use? Do you have any 4" ducts running to machines? Running the FPM calcs would be of interest.

"The Bleeder Troll"