PDA

View Full Version : Mobile miter saw station completed

Jack Lemley
03-19-2011, 4:41 PM
Hi all,

I just completed my new miter saw station and thought others looking to make their sliding miter saw more versatile, mobile, reduce saw dust and etc. I wrestled with what I wanted in a mobile station off and on for a couple of years. I ran across plans for a station in the "Fine WoodWorking Tools and Shops" magazine that fit the bill. The issue is winter 2009. About the only thing I changed was to reduce the cabinet height by 1 in. It has a shop vac installed in the cabinet and locking swivel casters got from Woodcraft. The saw and vac are connected to an outlet that activates the vac when I pull the trigger on my saw. I have a Makita 10" slider mounted on the stand. My shop is only 16 x 24 so space is a little tight.

Jack

David Nelson1
03-19-2011, 6:23 PM
Very nice job. I need to have mine stationary for just the same reason. You move stuff around takes ya a week to get it all back together.

Larry Edgerton
03-20-2011, 7:16 AM
I'd drive it! Nice job.

glenn bradley
03-20-2011, 9:21 AM
Nice job. That'll be handy.

gary Zimmel
03-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Great compact system to save on the floor space when not in use.
Nice job Jack.

raul segura
03-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Really nice set up and pictures,
So is your dust pick up decent, my saw is a Dewalt and the dust used to hit the back arm and splash every till I built mine with a hood.
I have a very small shop too and every thing is on wheels I can hardly squeeze in when the wife parks her car for the night !!

Jack Lemley
03-22-2011, 9:07 AM
Really nice set up and pictures,
So is your dust pick up decent, my saw is a Dewalt and the dust used to hit the back arm and splash every till I built mine with a hood.
I have a very small shop too and every thing is on wheels I can hardly squeeze in when the wife parks her car for the night !!

Raul,

I have never had my miter saw attached to a vac or DC until this set up. That said, I'd guess it captures probably 75% - 80% of the dust. Since I am used to no dust being captured this is a dramatic positive change for me. Doesn't work as well as a Festool Kapex/CT22 setup but then didn't cost $1900 either ;-) Adding a hood behind the saw would probably bump up the capture rate and I will probably do that at some point in the future.

Thanks for looking
Jack

raul segura
03-23-2011, 1:01 AM
With just the hood the dust envelope the table, till I managed the area just behind the blade I figure that's why they don't have the way tubes over each other any more,(no place for dust to go but bounce back). Mines made of launa ply but a tot looking a little like this would probably due real well with out the extra weight and design of wood, plus a couple of tubes to slide it and rotate on ? You'll come up with something matching your set up. This is just a very simple solution.
$1900 would build you a very nice dust collection system for many tools and left overs.187875