PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad I listened to that little voice!

Silas Smith
01-25-2005, 4:50 PM
I'm able to type this today thanks to all of you who post about listening to that little voice that tells you something bad is going to happen. I was cutting feet for a jewelry box I am making and I cut one a little too long. Not wanting to get out the crosscut sled, I thought I would just cut it on the mitre saw.

As I placed the piece into position, I became uncomfortable with the fact that my fingers were inches from the blade. Even then, I almost started the cut, but then I remembered the advice on this forum and thought, "there must be a safer way to do this". I ended up using a couple of pieces of scrap to hold it in place, which actually gave me a better grip than my fingers. As soon as the blade reached the half-way point, it hit an internal knot and kick out of the back of the saw. In the process, it pulled my hand toward the blade about 3-4" and chewed up my scrap that was holding the wood in place.

I'm not positive that I would have cut off anything, but it was close enough that it really made me think. Lesson learned: Listen to that voice and always take the time to do it the right way.

Michael Stafford
01-25-2005, 4:53 PM
Oh Silas, that is a scary story. :eek: So glad the little voice was talking to you. I hope you don't hear voices the rest of the time... :p

Chris Padilla
01-25-2005, 5:20 PM
Yikes, that give me the heebie-jibbies....

John Shuk
01-25-2005, 5:29 PM
Thank god for the happy ending.

Darren Ford
01-25-2005, 5:38 PM
Silas, I'm glad you thought about what you were doing. I'm also glad you posted this. It will hopefully remind some of us to listen to that little voice.

I have more than one instance where I listened, and as a result did something completely out of character that absolutely saved my life. Ever been lying under a grand piano and had all the legs come off and it fall on your chest and head? Me neither, but if I had not listened to that voice, about 5 seconds before it fell; I feel fairly certain I would not be telling you this story.

Listen to the little voice, its *always* right.

Ted Shrader
01-25-2005, 5:42 PM
Yikes, that give me the heebie-jibbies....That is the technical term for the hair on the back of my neck standing up. Me, too!

Glad you listened, Silas.

Ted

Keith Christopher
01-25-2005, 7:25 PM
I know that feeling. when I first got my MS I was cutting square some 2x2 ash blocks on it. And well ummm I didn't have it bolted to the workbench yet. Well cut the first one fine, then on the second one I was about 1/4 into it and hit a knot or something and it ripped the piece from my hand gouging it and towards the blade. Not to mention the MS jumped off the bench about 8 inches. Scary indeed ! Taught me a thing or two.

so glad you listened to the voice and are not hurt.

KEith

Charlie Woods
01-25-2005, 8:06 PM
Ohh man Silas, that guardian angel you have was really yelling at you at that moment. That little voice is extremely important and almost always right. Glad nothing went missing. Pretty scary though.
It is spooky when things like that happen. In 2000, I wrecked my Dodge truck( working late, fell asleep at the wheel and ran a stop sign at a major intersection, broadsided by another truck doing 60 mph.) I hate wearing my seatbelt and 90 percent of the time don't. About 5 minutes before the wreck, I heard my sons voice in my head telling me to put on my seatbelt, I did. I was able to walk away from a wreck that paramedics said I should have died in, or been severly crippled. I wear my seatbelt more now. Even with the best laid plans, the best safety equipment and lots of experience, accidents can still happen.
Yours is a great example of why you listen to that voice. Glad your okay!!:D

Scott Parks
01-25-2005, 9:44 PM
I had a similar "voice" moment this morning. I was running a groove in the edge of some rails. I was using the table saw with the factory throat plate. There just isn't enough support. Got the cut started, and thought it was a bad idea. So I shut the saw off. I thought about about it again, but instead, took 15 minutes to make a zero clearance insert. I hadn't made one for my new Grizzly yet. 15 minutes later, I'm cutting again in a safer manner with a new zero clearance insert. And I've got all my fingers intact too!

Dale Thompson
01-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Silas,
That "little voice" and the "language of the wood" probably explains why I still have eleven fingers - or is it ten? :confused:

The "voice" is important but so is the "sound" of the wood. Whether it's on the TS, the SCMS, the BS, the thickness planer, the lathe, etc., when the wood starts to "complain", either shut it down or be prepared to duck - REAL fast. The former is preferable because you can't duck fast enough to avoid a 1-3 HP missile. :eek: ;) :eek:

I'm glad to hear that you listened to the "voice". :) :cool:

Dale T.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-26-2005, 8:27 AM
Silas,

As others have said, thanks for posting this! I have listened to that little voice more than once. The reminder to listen to it never hurts!

Dick Parr
01-26-2005, 9:02 AM
I have learned to listen to that voice, Now that the damage is done. And oh ya, it is hard typing without the use of all fingers. :D

Ned Bulken
01-26-2005, 6:58 PM
THank goodness the ending wasn't much worse.
I have heeded had the little voice many a time. Had the bejeebers scared out of me a few times too. Thanks for the reminder.
Next time, sand or bandsaw to fit?