PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

Darren Jamieson
03-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I am thowing around the idea of someday down the road haveing a web site that people would hopefully order from and I would ship the product to them. My question is about packing your bowls or turnings, what ever they might be in a box surrounded by the wood shavings for protection. Does anyone know if this can be done and if it would maybe cause damage to the peice when wrapped in it?

Roland Martin
03-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Darren, I've never tried shavings for packing, but I would think that the weight of the turning would end up moving the shavings around in the box, unlike paper or bubble wrap that would more likely stay in place and protect better. Only a theory on my part, but theories are like....:)

Johnny Taylor
03-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Bubble wrap may not look as cool as shavings but it will keep your stuff safe in transit and that is the most important thing. Some custom labels to stick your bubble wrap up with are a nice touch.

Darren Jamieson
03-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I guess I should be more specific as to say I am thinking of the real long and curly shavings from when you rough the bowl. They seem pretty thick when put together tight enough.

Jim Burr
03-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Peanuts and bubble wrap

Gary Max
03-19-2011, 1:03 PM
Think about the guy that opens the box.

bob svoboda
03-19-2011, 1:07 PM
A mentor told me that lacquer finish and plastic (bubble wrap) do not do well together. YMMV.

John Keeton
03-19-2011, 1:30 PM
Wet shavings will mold and stink, depending on species, etc. I agree on plastic touching the surface, so I would recommend wrapping in paper, then bubble wrap, nested in a bed of peanuts.

David DeCristoforo
03-19-2011, 1:38 PM
Paper wrap under plenty of bubble wrap. I have not shipped any turnings but I have shipped hundreds of chessboards and this is the only way to go. It makes for a much bigger box but it protects the work well. Two tips: Do not tape the bubble wrap with that indestructible packing tape. It's makes it much harder to unwrap the piece which could be damaged in the fight. And never put "fragile" stickers on the outside of the box. Carriers see these as a challenge...

Curt Fuller
03-19-2011, 2:51 PM
The late, great Andy Hoyt (RIP), used to surprise folks with packages of green turning blanks packed in shavings. I know from that experience that not only was it a mess when you opened it (as Andy and his warped sense of humor intended) but it was usually starting to grow a few things by the time it got to you. And, unless you're shipping flat rate boxes, shavings are pretty heavy compared to those styrofoam angel turds. I think DD hit it right on with the paper and bubblewrap combination, with styrofoam to fill in anything after that.

Darren Jamieson
03-19-2011, 7:24 PM
Well I guess that it isn't such a good idea but I still think it could work. After the shavings sit on the floor for a few days they aren't very wet anymore. The bowl could be put into a plastic bag(recycled grocery bag) and then fill the rest up with shavings keeping the bowl from harm. Once opened the shavings can just be descarded in ones garden and the box is recycled. I have to little guys at home with me and I can say that at least once a week someone shows up with something new for them and there is nothing more annoying then having tons of non recyclible stuff all around my shop waiting for garbage day, which where I am is limited to what you can put out. It was just an idea but maybe not a good one, thanks all for the imput.

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2011, 8:49 PM
I would not wrap any piece finished with poly or lacquer with plastic bag or grocery bag. Don't ask me how I know. Let's just say it came back and needed refinished. I now wrap my pieces with a non stick Parchment paper my wife uses when cooking then with bubble wrap. Never have had a problem since. I agree with the others that wood chips are not good packing.

Brian Libby
03-19-2011, 9:06 PM
Looking from the buyers side - I would not want to open a package that the contents were packaged in shavings.
Also not everyone has a garden to dispose of the shavings-ie: city/apartment dewllers. They might not buy again.

Dennis Ford
03-19-2011, 11:21 PM
I have used shavings for this purpose and they can work. I saved (and dried) some willow shavings and they work very well for packing. I would only use long stringy shavings that do not contain dust or chips and would not use any unless dry. If done right, they can protect better than foam peanuts and are easier to unpack.

Brian McInturff
03-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Shipping a finished piece in shavings isn't a good ideal. The shavings could stain the finish or worse, scratch it. I use tissue and then brown paper. So far so good for me.