PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" M2 HSS rod

Roland Martin
03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
A while back, I ordered a 3' length of M2 rod from MSC to make some detailing tools. I finally got around to making a couple handles & grinding one of them with 3 facets. After that one was done, I tried it on the next handle. It seemed to cut cleanly, but that's the only test it's had so far. The small maple handle with the ground tip was detailed with a 1/16" parting tool & the ash handle got detailed with the triple-faceted tool. Kind of interesting making tools. I still have 4 more to grind as the need arises.

Tim Thiebaut
03-19-2011, 12:03 PM
These are pretty nice Roland. Is the triple ground one shaped like a vortex style tool? I have only read about them and seen pictures of them so not sure.

Roland Martin
03-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure, Tim, I've never seen one up close either. Hopefully somebody out there has one and will chime in. For repeatability, I shaped the end of the handle with three facets for seating in the arm of the Wolverine Jig, probably an unconventional way, but figured a hollow grind wouldn't hurt.

John Keeton
03-19-2011, 1:40 PM
Great job, Roland! If you know the link to the rod, it would be great to post it as I have given thought to doing some of this type of thing. This tool is pretty common, but not ground like the vortex, which is an extended point - much more acute angles. And, I don't believe the sides actually form an equilateral situation. But, I have only seen them online, and have not held one in my hand.

David DeCristoforo
03-19-2011, 1:58 PM
Here's a pic of the "vortex" tool, slurped from the web:

The "bottom" is ground with a rounded profile. The top is flat and can be honed on a stone. You can grind the "spear point" to suit yourself. I have made a few with pretty extreme points and they can be fragile but can cut very fine details.

Tim Thiebaut
03-19-2011, 2:33 PM

The "bottom" is ground with a rounded profile. The top is flat and can be honed on a stone. You can grind the "spear point" to suit yourself. I have made a few with pretty extreme points and they can be fragile but can cut very fine details.

Thanks David, I dont know what I was thinking but that is very different isnt it, thanks again. I may have to give those a shot Roland I really like how they came out for you.

John Keeton
03-19-2011, 2:42 PM
Tim, as David can attest, the "vortex" is a very critical tool to use. It can be used in a variety of ways, but nearly always it must be presented to the wood BELOW the centerline. I guarantee you will only present it above the C/L once!!!

I have not used Roland's tool, but have seen it in use a few times - very flexible, and much less subject to problems - but, then again, it is not intended to do what the vortex tool does.

Roland Martin
03-19-2011, 3:10 PM
Great job, Roland! If you know the link to the rod, it would be great to post it as I have given thought to doing some of this type of thing. This tool is pretty common, but not ground like the vortex, which is an extended point - much more acute angles. And, I don't believe the sides actually form an equilateral situation. But, I have only seen them online, and have not held one in my hand.

John, this is the link to the M2 drill rod http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/NavigationServlet/Raw-Materials/Metals/S (http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/NavigationServlet/Raw-Materials/Metals/S) They offer a nice assortment of diameters.

Thanks a bunch David, just the info I was looking for:). I now know what I'm grinding next!

David DeCristoforo
03-19-2011, 3:33 PM
"...you will only present it above the C/L once!!!..."

Amen!

Also keep in mind that this tool can be used to different effect by rotating it +/- 90 degrees. The "intuitive" way to present the tool to the stock is as in "A". But you can also present it as in "B" to achieve a different effect altogether.

Also, a light touch is recommended. When you are cutting diameters of less than 1/8" with a tool this sharp, it's very easy to sever the piece. Please don't ask me how I know this...

Roland Martin
03-19-2011, 4:07 PM
"...you will only present it above the C/L once!!!..."

Amen!

Also keep in mind that this tool can be used to different effect by rotating it +/- 90 degrees. The "intuitive" way to present the tool to the stock is as in "A". But you can also present it as in "B" to achieve a different effect altogether.

Also, a light touch is recommended. When you are cutting diameters of less than 1/8" with a tool this sharp, it's very easy to sever the piece. Please don't ask me how I know this...

I just had to grind one up, couldn't help it, you know, the "vortex":eek: Does this appear to be close?

David DeCristoforo
03-19-2011, 4:13 PM
Yup... that's it. Nice one...

Michael Mills
03-19-2011, 9:25 PM
Good looking handles Roland. I like the ribs, I have made a couple but they do not look that good.

If you want/can use shorter lengths WT Tools has 6" to 8" lenghts of HSS (I don’t know if it is M2). The ¼" X 6 is $2.10.
http://www.wholesaletoolcompany.com/?gclid=CI3MqZePjacCFYnc4AodDAyHdw
Thanks to the metal working forum I just learned the easy way to modify a handle to accept different ½" Square bits and be able to easily swap the bits.

John Keeton
03-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Roland, I use 600 and 1200 grit sandpaper laid on my tablesaw to sharpen the vortex type tools I have. Works pretty well!

Baxter Smith
03-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks for posting Roland, and David too. I have considered trying to make a vortex type tool, but it usually has been right when I have needed one so went without. Maybe I can prepare in advance now with the info in this thread.