PDA

View Full Version : A try at a SW segmented form ??

Roland Martin
03-19-2011, 9:43 AM
This is my first attempt at a segmented form. I thought I would try my hand at a SW basket theme, not all that easy for a guy born & raised in Maine. Nonetheless, this is what I ended up with. It's not only my first segmented form, but the largest turning I've done so far, learned a bit about "torque":).

Claro Walnut & Birdseye Maple segments, 12 12-piece rings with an overall size of 13" x 8 1/2" and 3/8" thick. I sanded this to 1200 and applied 3 coats of AO, wet sanding with 2000. I did my best to follow the 1/3 rules and came quite close. I decided to keep the segment design on the simple side for my first attempt, so it may be lacking character.

All comments, critiques & suggestions are always welcomed. Thanks for looking.

David E Keller
03-19-2011, 9:51 AM
I don't think it's lacking anything! I bet the segmenters among us will mention the possibility of problems with that bottom design as I seem to remember lots of discussion about 'floating' the bottom. I think the form looks good, and I'd be proud of the joints. The 'all maple' band really emphasizes the shoulder. I think it's beautiful.

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2011, 10:22 AM
I think you did really good on this form! Sure looks thinner than 3/8"! I like the wood combination used and the joinery is first rate! I have no segmenting experience but agree with David that I seem to remember that wood movement may cause some problems later on with this style of bottom.

Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing segmented HF #2!

Michelle Rich
03-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Hey Roland: For a first it is pretty gosh darn good! I have some experience with segmentations :-) and you are correct that more segments per row would make the piece much more balanced and the design would show up more. At this many the basket design gets lost. My gues is that 24 on a bowl this size would look much nicer & more balanced. Yep there may OR NOT be a problem with the bottom. If it's under 4 inches, I';d not worry about it. I have solid bottoms on ones bigger than that and they've done fine for yrs and yrs.
Your joints look great, from what I can see. So congrats on your first seg. bowl!

Roland Martin
03-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks David & Steve. I guess your comments on the bottom threw me a bit. My thinking when I did this was that if the bottom was segmented like the rest of the form, all would tend to move together at pretty much the same rate, then again, my theories sometime only work in my head:D. As you mentioned, David, I certainly wouldn't argue that a floating bottom would be the least problematic of any other type of bottom. I guess the visual aspect of the segmented bottom that maintains the curvature, appealed to me more than a floating bottom. Life is one big lesson:) Thanks again!

Roland Martin
03-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks Michelle, much appreciated. The bottom is 4 1/2" on this one, time will tell i guess:) Good suggestion on something this size, a 24 piece ring would help this out, I would imagine.

Roger Chandler
03-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Nice stuff, Roland! While the form is good, and you did well on this, it is your first, and you should be proud of it! I would if it were mine. As you explore the segmented world, you will develop just as you have in other aspects of turning..........keep 'em coming!

John Keeton
03-19-2011, 11:11 AM
No character lacking here!!!! Great job, Roland, and fantastic joinery. I would say you did a superb job on this - first or 100th!

I can see no complaints, though I suspect there may be some comments on not having a captured base to allow for movement. Never done one, so I don't know.

Michael James
03-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Roland, form and finish on this piece are excellent! Im too lazy to try segmenting, but I'd agree that you have to look for the pattern (at least in the pics) to see it. If it (smaller / more pieces) were smaller, it would be more easily recognizable. I imagine as a 1st you were focusing on the technical aspects of getting clean joints and a nice form - which again you did achieve. I don't know about the foot situation. Only time will tell.
Great job and thanks for posting.
mj

Eugene Wigley
03-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Roland that looks great. I don't know anything about segmented bowls but that does not lack character. Wish I could do that.

Jim Adkins
03-19-2011, 1:41 PM
Roland that's a fine job of segmenting, It does look thinner than 3/8"!! A very good job whether the first or 20th. Time will tell on the bottom moving. The form is very good and you executed the job very well.
Jim

Robert McGowen
03-19-2011, 4:21 PM
My thinking when I did this was that if the bottom was segmented like the rest of the form, all would tend to move together at pretty much the same rate........

First, you did a very nice job on the technical aspects. You will obviously get better and I look forward to your next piece.

You are partially correct on your thinking about the bottom. All the pieces do tend to move together, which is why the piece doesn't come apart. The problem with the bottom is that you don't have any place for THOSE BOTTOM SEGMENTS TO MOVE TO. They obviously can't move inward, as there is no space, and they can't move outward without a joint opening up.

Roland Martin
03-19-2011, 5:17 PM
First, you did a very nice job on the technical aspects. You will obviously get better and I look forward to your next piece.

You are partially correct on your thinking about the bottom. All the pieces do tend to move together, which is why the piece doesn't come apart. The problem with the bottom is that you don't have any place for THOSE BOTTOM SEGMENTS TO MOVE TO. They obviously can't move inward, as there is no space, and they can't move outward without a joint opening up.

Hmmmmm, never thought about it that way, it's pretty clear to me now:confused: Well, hopefully I'll beat the odds on this one, Thanks Robert:)

Darren Jamieson
03-19-2011, 6:06 PM
Roland I think it looks fantastic and you did a real good job with the joints. The bootm joints are excellent how only because I just posted "my first vase" last week I now know that a segmented bottom is not hte way to go. If you get a chance look(around pg8) it up and look read all the helpful comments that I received and there is one there from Malcom Tibbetts with some good refrences and a how to for a floating bottom. Great job!!

Michael Short
03-19-2011, 8:17 PM
Great first try Roland. These are alot of fun and you learn from each and every one of them. Looking forward to your next one.

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2011, 8:36 PM
Great first piece Roland. I have only done one and yours out shines mine by a long shot. Nice form and joints look top notch. Well done.

Harry Robinette
03-19-2011, 9:30 PM
I'll just say really nice piece.you did good.

Baxter Smith
03-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Very nice job Roland. Looks very good in all regards!

Mark Hubl
03-20-2011, 4:55 PM
Nice job Roland, congrats on your first one of these. I think the piece looks great. Hope it was fun and look forward to seeing another.