PDA

View Full Version : Fun little project I did

John Pollman
01-25-2005, 4:43 PM
Hi all !

Just before Christmas I was poking around a place not far from me that sells second hand building materials and such. They take donated items and then resell them with the proceeds going to the needy of the area. I was in there looking for a new sink for someone I know who really needed it but didn't have a lot of cash. I found a beautiful stainless double bowl sink for $15 ! About five minutes with a sponge and some comet and it looked like new. Not bad considering the cheapest new one I could find at HD was $65. Anyway, while poking around this place I happened to see a pretty cool piece leaded glass leaning up against a shelf. I pulled it out and it looked pretty nice. I'm assuming it was a sidelight from a door or something like that. It was about 6" wide and about 70" tall. I started thinking about it and had an idea. I've got an arch between my dining room and main hallway that's about the same ratio of height to width. I asked the guy how much he wanted, he replied "how about $20 ?". I just said SOLD ! :) I didn't know exactly what I was going to do with it but figured the price was right so I took it and the sink and headed home. I thought about it for a few days and then decided to pick up a piece of 1x oak and made a frame for it. I just built and sanded it and threw a coat of Tung Oil on it. I think it came out looking pretty good for a quick little fun project. Here's how it came out.

Michael Stafford
01-25-2005, 4:51 PM
Looks great, John, very decorative and probably made the LOYL happy. That is what counts ultimately... :)

Jeff Sudmeier
01-26-2005, 8:17 AM
John, that looks great! Great find and a great way to put it to use.

Carole Valentine
01-26-2005, 8:33 AM
That is a really pretty piece of glass for $20 and a nice looking frame! Be cool if you could attach it to some sort of shallow light box to show off the colors!

Carole, who is full of ideas but has very few solutions!:D

Kelly C. Hanna
01-26-2005, 9:01 AM
You got a huge deal there my friend. Glass like that sells for $100 around here. I like the frame. I did this one years ago for a client with a Cherry frame...since then I have seen many of this same pattern.

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/Stainedglass1.jpg

Ted Shrader
01-26-2005, 9:51 AM
John -

What a great find.

Ted

Dan Gill
01-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Great buy! When I made my mission lamp, I had to pay $40 just for four pieces of stained glass about 5 x 10. No leading or labor involved as you have in yours.

Jerry Ingraham
01-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Nice job! We have a Habitat for Humanity store here which does the same, resells donated used and new items. Occasionally I go there just to look around and pick up anything nthat catches my eye. Last week I scored two undermount 35# drawer slides for $2.95 each which were perfect for a project I have going right now. They always have a lot of brand new hardware which I assume is from store liquidations and such.

John Pollman
01-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the encouragement folks ! I personally thought it came out looking pretty good but it's nice to know that others think so too. :) I figured I couldn't go wrong for $20, I couldn't even buy the material alone for that if I were to try to make one like it. It just adds something to the dining room too. It looks a lot nicer now than that big blank arch.