PDA

View Full Version : My "new" set of Stanley's

Bob Jones
03-19-2011, 12:51 AM
The first image is my current set of solid "user" grade bench planes. 3 through 8 without the fraction sizes. These are a mixed set that I was given, inherited, or bought on ebay or Brass City. No "desirable" types, but I have tuned each of them myself to be good users. Some took more work than others. All work well with no real complaints.

Well, in the process of tuning these (over a few years) I learned things that I liked and things that I didn't. For instance - I never believed it, but handle shape matters. Some handles really are more comfortable than others when you are working for hours. I found other things too, but that one surprised me most. Anyway, I decided that I would like to assemble a complete set of the same Type of planes. I want them all to have the same look and "feel" when I am using them.

I decided to go with Type 11's. Yes, I guess I gave into the internet hype. Here they are. I love the patents dates, the frog, and the low knobs. I had no idea the older type of frogs were SO STABLE! Wow.

At this angle, you have to look close to notice a difference. These are all "as found". I plan to clean each, probably repaint all, and replace all the handles. Don't worry, I will save the handles. I want them all to look and feel the same. It will be a couple of months before I do anything because I am making myself wait until I finish my current project - my first case work. A chest of drawers.

Anyway, I would like to say I worked on this collection for years, but I did not. I assembled this "set" in about 4 days with the help of users in this forum, woodnet, ebay, and ROSE tools. FYI - Donna at ROSE tools was awesome! All were reasonable prices, no crazy auctions. Only the joiners were more than $50 (one was $25) and non were over $100.

Money shot

I am really looking forward to tuning them. I plan to post a complete "how to" without using a buffer or wire wheel once I figure it out. I am reading now.

Sorry for the blazing gloat :) I guess I crossed the line into collector-ville. Maybe collectors are not so bad after all... :rolleyes:

FYI - I work from rough cut lumber and do 100% of surface prep by hand. So, I decided to spoil myself a little. I really wanted a set of LN's or BedRocks, but those are just too much for me right now.

Dwain Lambrigger
03-19-2011, 3:07 AM
Well, that is really pretty. I guess you beat me to the punch. I started looking for corrogated type 11's in January. I have them from 3 to 8, incluing the 5 1/2. I guess i will have to get some pictures up. I have the same goal, clean them and get them sharpened and ready to use.

Good luck!

Dan Andrews
03-19-2011, 8:15 AM
There is a collection I could go for. I have the Stanley #5 and #7. Both type 11. The #5 was free and I paid $20. for the #7 (it came with several other tools with some value). Both needed irons which I bought used, and both still need the tote horns replaced. They work great and are easy to adjust and they hold their adjustments. Good going Bob.

Kevin Foley
03-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Nice set of planes. A good dad deserves them. Only a good dad would have not put them to work immediately to remove a budding artist's artwork from daddy's benchtop. Neat picture, well executed tool score. Congratulations!

Bob Jones
03-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks! That picture was actually taken on my "daughters" benchtop. It is just a solid door on two by four legs. I let her decorate it. She has to leave daddy's roubo alone :)

Jim Koepke
03-19-2011, 1:40 PM
No "desirable" types

Any plane that works well is a "desirable" type.

Looks good and looking forward to see your progress on fixing them up.

I agree with you on the totes. There is a lot more wood in the bend at the bottom of the old totes and on my type 6 #4-1/2 it is impossible for me to get more than two fingers around the tote.

On a lot of my other planes some of the wood has been taken out with a rasp and then sanded for a more comfortable fit.

jtk

Salem Ganzhorn
03-19-2011, 4:43 PM
I am in the market for a 3, 4 and possibly an 8. I am not very picky about the type although I totally agree about the tote mattering! But I have started making my own.

Let me know if you are liquidating the old ones :).
Salem