PDA

View Full Version : Free Hand Sharpened my Skew

Tim Thiebaut
03-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Since I started out turning last December I have always used the skew a great deal, I know some people stay away from it, but I had no preconceived notions about it and just naturaly started useing it. The main problem I have had with it though, at least on my larger "1 1/2 skew is draging the toe and getting the twirling marks on the wood, I dont have this problem with the shorter skews just the long one. I have also always sharpened them in my wolverine jig with the skew attachment. So tonight I wanted to try something different and to get the Alan Lacer style bevel I had to free hand sharpen the skew, it actauly was fairly easy, I dont think I would have tried this a couple of months ago, but all things come with time and experience I guess. It wasnt hard at all to get the shape I wanted with the bevel on the short point, and a good cutting edge all the way across.

Once done I tried it out and was very happy with the way it worked, I didnt have to worry about dragging the short end and leaveing twirl marks behind me as I was useing it. Will see how it goes with more serious turning as I just did a few trys this evening, but so far I am likeing the new grind a lot.

Brian Libby
03-19-2011, 8:24 AM
I have two of Alan Lacers skews and really like them. The curved heel makes useage alot easier. Hand sharpening is really easy. As you say -some people hate the skew but I like it.

Ken Whitney
03-19-2011, 8:25 AM
Tim,

You may want to take a look at this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161738-Skew-Sharpening-Jig&highlight=).

I use this setup for the Lacer Skews and get very repeatable results.

Ken