PDA

View Full Version : New Tools, Need Some Advice

Greg Castaneda
01-25-2005, 4:36 PM
Hi, I finally decided it was time to join in. I have been visiting this forum for a while and it really helped in my decision to buy a couple of new tools. A General 650-T50 Tablesaw and the Laguna 16HD w/ 16" resaw and 4.5 HP Baldor motor.
I have been into woodworking off and on for quite a few years but never really had the time or the proper equipment to do a great job since most of my tools are for general consruction work. So after a long discussion with LOML we decided it was time to really start investing in some quality tools. As soon as she saw me setting up the tools she was already thinking of all the things she wants me to make.

The question I have is regarding a splitter for the General 650. Does anyone know who would manufacture and aftermarket spliter for this saw? The origianl splitter/guard is terrible but I am not willing to use the saw without some kind of spliiter. I think the Is the Merlin Splitter but it is only in thin kerf and I use full kerf blades. And help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian Hale
01-25-2005, 4:40 PM
Hi Greg, Welcome To The Creek!!!

A very nice pair tools you got there.

Brian

Karl Laustrup
01-25-2005, 5:15 PM
Welcome to the Creek Greg. I used to live in Cypress and had my shop in GG.

Very nice looking TS, but I'm afraid I can't help you with the answer for a splitter.

Nice BS. Got the 16HD myself, but it is the older version. 13" cut and only 3 HP. Still one powerful saw.

Ted Shrader
01-25-2005, 5:56 PM
Hi Greg -

Welcome to the Creek. Glad you introduced yourself.

Congratulations on the new tools. Now that you have used them, you have discovered how much easier it is to do good quality work.

Ted

John Weber
01-25-2005, 8:46 PM
Greg,

Welcome! I would contact Biesemeyer directly they might make a splitter that would fit your saw, but not have it listed. As for the Merlin, I don't think you'll have any problem using a thin kerf splitter with a full kerf blade. Also mirco-jig makes a little splitter that might work for you.

John

Russ Massery
01-25-2005, 9:38 PM
Greg, Welcome! congrats on your new tools. I've been using the micro-jig splitter for almost a year now, the best $15.00 I ever spent. Easy to install and easy to remove when making non-thru cuts.The kit gives you everything you'll need to install it including the drill bit.They also advise installing it in a zero clearance insert. Also on subject of safety I also recommend there gripper.

Russ

Greg Castaneda
01-25-2005, 9:41 PM
Thanks John I will check it out. Also thanks for info on using a thin kerf splitter, I was just a little worried and reading some of the stories regarding kickback makes me very cautious. My previous tablesaw was a Dewalt DW744 benchtop which got thrown around alot in my truck. That thing didn't seem to have a lot of power and just bogged down when things didn't go right but this new saw is so powerful it's a little scary.

Mike Holbrook
01-26-2005, 11:41 AM
I too have been fighting a small underpowered saw for years. I think I am about to order a Grizzly 1023SL or SLX, with as many people singing that saws praises; I think it is a pretty safe bet. I am interested in the protection devices too. These saws do not come with splitters? I think maybe the suggestion is just that there are much better ones. Could someone please provide links to some places I can order these devises from.

Frank Pellow
01-26-2005, 3:51 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek, Greg. I just purchased the same table saw (but have not yet taken delivery), so I will be interested in advice re the splitter.

I also just purchased a very similar bandsaw. Mine is the ACM Star 400 16" bandsaw and it is ACM that makes the saw that you have for Laguna.

So, you have joined a good forum and have acquiared two very good tools. :D