PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Ring project I just completed

Bruce Boone
03-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Here's a ring I just completed. It holds a strangely shaped stone that looks somewhat like a Superman emblem in a tension set. The diamond is very flat and the pointy end has no girdle to grip on like a conventional cut. The ring is made from aerospace grade titanium, and is cut from solid bar. It was a challenge to properly hold onto the stone since geometry was so strange. It took me most of the day, as I hand wrote the code and machined it one step at a time until it was done. It took a little had finishing, but that went pretty quickly.

Stephen Pereira
03-19-2011, 1:49 AM
Nice job and beautiful work. I guess I'm a dinosaur..just manual machines. I wouldn't know where to begin on a project such as yours.

Leigh Betsch
03-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Looks great!. How do you like your Tormack?

Bruce Boone
03-22-2011, 8:29 PM
Thanks guys. The ring isn't too tough, you start with solid bar, cut it to a tube of the right dimensions on the lathe, mill the side view, then mill the top areas and side grooves, then rotary cut the outside profile. Lots of steps on that particular ring. It's usually not so many steps.

The Tormach is a solid machine. I'm impressed with it's bang to buck ratio and it's smooth spindle and well designed double contact tooling system. Being that I also have a full size machining center with an enclosure and tool changer, I tend to use it more. I need to figure out a niche use for the Tormach that makes sense in my manufacturing operations. I'll be getting a pretty powerful laser here soon, so that might build up business enough that I'll need the Tormach to help take up some of the capacity.

Lupe Duncan
03-22-2011, 9:21 PM
Very SUPER Bruce....

My Daughter would love that. She likes anything with the "superman" emblem. Her name is Sam so she likes the "S".

Bruce Boone
03-22-2011, 9:41 PM
That was a really strange cut of diamond. I've never seen any like it.

Gerald Wubs
04-05-2011, 12:32 AM
That is a truly beautiful ring!