PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt RAS model MBF

Steve Horvath
03-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Iam a knew member however, I have been woodworking on and off for the last 40 plus years. I recently retired and am trying to put a shop togather, I was not satisified with the quality of cuts I have made on my DeWalt chop saw, so I bought the RAS. I would apprciate any help in finding a manual for my a Dewalt RAS model MBF which was produced between 1956-59. If any one has one please let me know and I will gladely pay you for it or a copy of it. Thanks ahead of time. My Email is treefarmone@gmail.com.

Bob Vallaster
03-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Go to the vintage machinery site (previously old woodworking machines) at this page: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=252&tab=3
In the box labeled "Filter results by...", select Radial Arm Saw. Scroll down the list for something approaching your model and year of production.
No charge for the download.

BobV

Neil Brooks
03-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Gimme a few minutes to save it as a PDF and I'll e-mail it to you.

I love my 1956 MBF :)

Cary Falk
03-18-2011, 11:59 PM
As stated, OWWM/Vintage machinery has a ton of info. I am currently rebuilding a 1957 MBF.

Neil Brooks
03-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Sent.

Anybody else needs it ... shoot me a PM. I also have a parts list, and probably some other stuff ;)

Neil Brooks
03-19-2011, 12:03 AM
And ... ain't they purty ?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/TWWW4wuEwFI/AAAAAAAAB0w/TOLY54vPQVk/s576/P1050197.JPG

[any chance to put up a pic of my baby :D]

Neil Brooks
03-19-2011, 12:04 AM
and his (Walter) new DIY dust collection shroud.

Works ... REALLY well !

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/TXa3gXPL7wI/AAAAAAAAB3U/gL-4a-A9G5I/s576/P1050212.JPG

:)

Cary Falk
03-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Currently under rebuild.

Neil Brooks
03-19-2011, 12:25 AM
She's a beauty, Cary.

Was that as you got it, or have you bought some parts.

Rare to actually have, and not buy, the anti-kickback pawls, for example.

Very nice !

Cary Falk
03-19-2011, 12:35 AM
That's how I got it. It's not a gloat money wise but it is very complete. That is worth a little more to me. It's all good though. I bought a 1400 and a MBF/7790 franken saw for dirt cheap which I am parting out. I have made my money back already. This saw has been sitting in a guys shed for the last 10 years. He purchased it from the guy he got the house from and never used it. It is shining up really nice.

david brum
03-19-2011, 12:36 AM

What's not to like about MBFs?

Neil Brooks
03-19-2011, 12:41 AM
That's how I got it. It's not a gloat money wise but it is very complete. That is worth a little more to me. It's all good though. I bought a 1400 and a MBF/7790 franken saw for dirt cheap which I am parting out. I have made my money back already. This saw has been sitting in a guys shed for the last 10 years. He purchased it from the guy he got the house from and never used it. It is shining up really nice.

a) it's worth ... whatever you paid for it, as long as YOU feel that way :)
b) I have the distinct feeling there are THOUSANDS of these things, in sheds, basements, and barns, all over the place. Just watching CL ... they just turn up, over and over and over;
c) Keep us posted on the restore, huh ?

And David ...

Ohhhh, Man. You did that Shane Whitlock paint job, huh ... ?

*Almost* too pretty to use !

I think the MBF *is* considered the most desirable of the "hobbyist" line.

A guy on the local CL has been trying to get $600 for one. I e-mailed him ... with a friendly bit of advice. He's down to $400. It's NOT immaculate, and NOT restored.

He's also calling it an 8" saw ;)

But ... for every one that doesn't know what they have, and wants $400 ... there's another one that doesn't CARE what they have, and wants $75 :)

Neil Brooks
03-19-2011, 12:42 AM
as an FYI ... here's the guy that wants $400 -- down from $600:

denver[dot]craigslist[dot]org/tls/2270696409.html

If anybody buys it, I'd like to offer them my whole shop ;)

Cary Falk
03-19-2011, 12:44 AM

What's not to like about MBFs?

Time out! That's not an MBF. That is some sort of Frankinsaw. The real MBF has a 3/4 hp motor. Still looks good though. :D

Neil Brooks
03-19-2011, 12:46 AM
He added a Paxton Supercharger to his ;)

Cary Falk
03-19-2011, 12:50 AM
I will post when I get it done in a few weeks hopfully. I'm Shane Whitlock'ing mine also. I have his OWWM pictures hanging in the garage for inspiration. Currently stripping the paint and polishing the bare metal.

david brum
03-19-2011, 1:25 AM
Time out! That's not an MBF. That is some sort of Frankinsaw. The real MBF has a 3/4 hp motor. Still looks good though.

You caught me Cary. I still have the original 3/4hp motor, but wanted more power. I did a bit of research and found that the best 5/8" arbor motor that DeWalt made actually came on one of their later saws, the 7770 (2 1/5 hp). I found one on CL during Christmas vacation. The guy felt bad because he couldn't start the saw, so he gave it to me :D. Then I got a yoke from a 925 and a blade guard from a GW1. I now have a saw which has the accuracy of an MBF, but will turn a 10" blade through 3" material without bogging. It will also still interchange blades with my table saw. I call it the abominable frankensaw. It's fun to play around with these saws because most people don't see value in them, so they're cheap. Like Neal says, there must be one in every old garage in America.

Craig Ryder
03-19-2011, 8:19 AM
There is a Dewalt RAS Forum if you are not already using it.
forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=woodbutcher&nav=start&prettyurl=%2Fwoodbutcher

david brum
03-19-2011, 10:11 AM
BTW Neil, in case you don't already have a copy, the ultimate old DeWalt owner's manual is the Mr Sawdust book.http://mrsawdust.com/index.php

You can download the chapter about the history of the saws for free on the site. Good fun!

Neil Brooks
03-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Mr. Sawdust IS an excellent book.

The other one that I think is different, BUT equally good is the one by Jon Eakes:

www[dot]joneakes[dot]com/learning-curve/radial-arm-saws

With these two books, you can rule the (RAS) world !

Jim Davenport
03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm the recent owner of a 1956 vintage MBF.
I'll add my recommendations to the MR Sawdust book.
Available from: http://mrsawdust.com/index.php (http://mrsawdust.com/index.php)
In my opinion this is the “defacto” reference for vintage Dewalt radial arm saws. I love the late Wally Kunkel’s layed back writing style. I found the book to be easy to follow. The “MR sawdust table design" is probably worth the price of the book alone.

The next book I’d recommend is: “Easy ways to expert woodworking”, by Robert Scharff.
It’s available from Amazon used books: http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Expert-Woodworking-robert-scharff/dp/B000J4K2R8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298472089&sr=1-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Expert-Woodworking-robert-scharff/dp/B000J4K2R8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298472089&sr=1-1)
You need to watch when one becomes available at a decent price.
The one I bought was printed in 1956, the same year as my MBF.
This book is a very good reference for the AMF Dewalt 9” RAS’s. Great references on alignment.
`Also it has instructions on doing a lot of operations with the saw, some of which I’d be terrified to do!!
If you don’t want to get the Mr. Sawdust book, this would be my second choice.
When you get ready for a blade I recommend, the 8” Forrest blade for my Dewalt MBF. Mine was #WW08602100. It’s a 60 tooth with a TCG grind, .100” kerf. Be sure to get a stiffener that they recommend. I got the 4”. This is the Blade that Mr Sawdust recommened
Here's my useless bragg:

187290:187291

Neil Brooks
03-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Jim-

I think you've posted that whole post before, no ? It's VERY helpful, and I couldn't agree MORE with EVERYTHING you said.

Let me add a bit.

My current used RAS book collection includes:

Getting the Most Out of Your Radial Saw
Easy Ways to Expert Woodworking
Newest Ways to Expert Woodworking
The Magic of Your Radial Arm Saw
Radial Arm Saw Techniques
Jon Eakes' book
The Mister Sawdust book

To ME, the two that EVERY owner of an older DeWalt should have ARE the Mr. Sawdust book and Jon Eakes's book.

But .... ANY one or two, from the list I posted ... are in the "nice to have" category, and -- yeah -- Scharff's books are VERY good.

Wolfe Machinery is probably your single best source for PARTS for these saws, and ... yeah ... there's the Forrest Blade, and then a couple of 2nd place blades, IMHO :)

Beautiful saw, Jim !

Jim Davenport
03-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Just a little "thread hi-jacking"
neil,
Yes I did post that before.
On your recommendation, I just bought a used copy of the John Eakes book from an Amazon used book vendor.
Thank you for the comment on my saw.
Now back to the thread.
Steve,
When you get ready to restore your saw. Rustoleum "Multi texture sea green" is the closest color I could find to the original. It's just a little more blueish

Steve Horvath
03-19-2011, 10:51 PM
To say I was supprised by so many replies, is an understatement to say the least. I thank each of you and will take your advice seriously. I have always enjoyed wood working but until reacently the only place I had to work was my carport or the yard and a set of saw horses. The pictures of the RAS's you posted are inspiring and I hope to post some of mine some day. A special thanks to Neal Brooks for a copy of the owners manual.

SWH

John Petsche
12-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Nice pics of dewalt ras

Greg McClurg
12-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Neil,

Where did you get the coiled cord for your saw?

Thanks,
Greg

Neil Brooks
12-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Greg-

I bought it from Grainger.

Cary Falk
12-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Neil,

Where did you get the coiled cord for your saw?

Thanks,
Greg
I have half a coiled cord from my restore that I will let go for cheap if you are interested. Cary

Edit to add: I personally would not put a coiled cord on a RAS after doing it once. It always got in the way of the carriage lock. I put it on an MBF. I did not put it on my current GWI.