PDA

View Full Version : My First Led Light Base Attempt

Dean Fowell
03-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Well sorry for the picture quality I need to invest in a good camera, this is my first one yet

Anthony Welch
03-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Looks great. Is this something you built or bought? If built tell us the steps and where you got the components.
Again, I like it mucho.

Anthony

Dean Fowell
03-18-2011, 11:04 PM
I brought the Bases from Dacoreandafter very good they pack and ship very well, I cut 1/4 in acrylic like butter im tring to do some photos of my kids next I am still looking for a supplier of bases only so I can build

Frank Corker
03-19-2011, 5:56 AM
Dean for your first one it's turned out really nice. I don't know if you are aware but there are some acrylics which are made specifically for this purpose which emphasis the engraving much more than plain cast acrylic. It comes in a variety of colours too. Would be nice to see what this is like with subdued lighting.

Josh Richard
03-19-2011, 7:22 AM
I am still looking for a supplier of bases only so I can build

Looks great. I have some students who are working on something like this. One student used only vector cuts on the surface for a really neat effect.

In a week, I will have some plans for this ready to post.

My engineering students are completing some now, when they are done, they will make a document outlining the entire process.

As for the pict, try turning the room lights off and using a stiff bag or a tripod. if your camera is kept still in a room with lower light, you might get better photos of the sign light.

Dee Gallo
03-19-2011, 9:31 AM
Good one, Dean! Watch out, making these is addicting... they are a lot of fun. I usually take pix in a dark room, like a bathroom or on a large solid surface (I use a pool table) where you don't see any background.

Josh, I look forward to seeing what your students have come up with for their bases.

cheers, dee

Joe Kace
03-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Hello All

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but starting another to show one I did didn't make sense. I did this for a friend of mine who loves guns, this is for his gun room. I have the bases made by a machinist.187288

Josh Richard
03-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Joe, I like the shape cut at the top, nice touch.

Did you ever try to cut through the acrylic in the middle (remove an area like where the trigger is)?

Joe Kace
03-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi Josh,
Yes I did, but what happens is you cut out the path of light and anything above becomes dim. This is how I came up with cutting just the edge. It really has alot of detail, but the pic really doesn't show it.

Joe

Dee Gallo
03-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Joe, I like the shape cut at the top, nice touch.

Did you ever try to cut through the acrylic in the middle (remove an area like where the trigger is)?

Josh, I've done that on photos thinking it would be a good thing, but when lit, all the edges light up so it was a bad thing. I posted a pic in a previous thread showing this. It would depend on the effect you are looking for. In the case of this gun, you would either want the whole edge to light up or none at all.

Mike Lassiter
03-19-2011, 12:57 PM
FYI to everyone - I purchased a couple of the 6-1/2" led lights from decorandafter myself around NOV last year. I kept looking for more but always showing out of stock. I emailed them NOV 22 and got a reply stating more had been ordered but wouldn't be in until after Christmas - too late for my needs then. I continued checking back but still showing out of stock on the white LED bases and smaller sizes. I again emailed on FEB 14 - "did I miss them again?", but did not get a reply. I forwarded that email again MAR 2 and got a reply on MAR 4 as follows:
"i got a bunch in and they sold right away. I am ordering another pile today. takes 4-6 weeks to get here. if you want anything special i will add it and tell you when they come in this time"
I was somewhat annoyed by the whole thing as I never saw them not "out of stock" when I checked back every few days when I looked for them on line; and that I didn't get a reply until I again ask after waiting 2 weeks for response. I did not request any after getting the above reply email.

I got an email from "Scott" from decorandafter on MAR 17 as copied below;

I am simplifying my life and will no longer carry LED light bases. All bases have been reduced in price and when they are gone they are gone. I will not be restocking them.

We appreciate your past business and have enjoyed working with you.

Scott
http://decorandafter.com/store/products.php?cat=46

(moderators - I hope the link is OK here, it was included in the email to me - if not I understand it being removed)

I wouldn't plan to incorporate these LED light bases into anything you were hoping to develop into a product. I have pondered asking Scott about the source of them to offer myself, but have not as yet.

Dean Fowell
03-19-2011, 7:45 PM
Yes but I will make my own bases because then I know i will have them when ever I want nice work Joe, I will post as soon as I figure it out

lucas kreft
03-19-2011, 11:57 PM
this is the cityscape (halifax) i did on glass a few years back.. i have no laser now :(
but there may be business opportunities in the future