PDA

View Full Version : Oak Bowl

Johnny Taylor
03-18-2011, 6:59 PM
I turned this bowl in January but thought I would share it with you as I did not belong to the Creek then.
It is made from a very,very old piece of Oak. I salvaged a board of this from a builders firewood heap. It was taken out of an old house and would have been(like all) Oak used in buildings 4 or 5 hundred years old around here previously used in a ship. This was the hardest piece of wood I have ever turned its like rock! This piece of wood must already be well over half a millennium old and looks like it!
Its 12" wide almost exactly and the textured bands are coloured with acrylics.The whole thing is finished with acrylic laquer.
Comments and
critiques welcomed.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/ancient-endless009.jpg

Johnny

Michael James
03-18-2011, 7:12 PM
Awesome piece, and it even looks old and British!?!?:D Thanks for uppin this one!
mj

Mark Hix
03-18-2011, 7:18 PM
Beautiful bowl. I would look great in my living room!

Darren Jamieson
03-18-2011, 7:20 PM
Very impressive, I would not have guessed that this was oak.

Dick Wilson
03-18-2011, 7:22 PM
It is definitely a head scratcher when you realize that this wood was growing many generations before you were born. I have turned elm that was age dried and the only way I could make any headway was to use a scraper. Beautiful grain on this piece and the accent is spot on

Jim Burr
03-18-2011, 8:23 PM
That is amazing Johnny!!!! It looks 4-500 years old. The inlay and the grain really fight for attention and I am glad they both won!

Nate Davey
03-18-2011, 9:13 PM
Beautiful job Johnny, would be a shame to see such a incredible piece of wood burned.

Cathy Schaewe
03-18-2011, 9:18 PM
Wow, you did a phenomenal job with that. I've turned a little dry oak, and would rather not do it again!

Curt Fuller
03-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Besides being just a beautiful turning to look at, the story behind the wood is fascinating to me. I didn't know they salvaged wood from ships for building houses. Imagine the stories that piece of wood could tell.

John Keeton
03-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Johnny, this is a wonderfully done piece!! Great history, too. I would love to see a straight on profile pic if you wouldn't mind.

Again, fantastic work with some beautiful wood!

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Beautiful work out of some beautiful wood.

Kelvin Burton
03-18-2011, 11:55 PM
I LOVE it! Wonderful job on the decorative bands and the grain at the bottom and left are amazing!

Baxter Smith
03-18-2011, 11:58 PM
That is a great piece of wood and a great turning! With a great history to go with it, it doesn't get any better!

Pierce Davidson
03-19-2011, 1:02 AM
Magnificent piece of artwork.

Ron Stadler
03-19-2011, 1:08 AM
Wow Johnny, I love it, you sure did this old piece of wood good. It is just gorgeous and that little swirrly figure in it is just awesome, you got my two thumbs up on this one.

Johnny Taylor
03-19-2011, 5:14 AM
Thank you very much for the comments. The old buildings around my part of the world are full of timbers formerly used in ships, you can see in many beams in the old barns the holes and cut outs from where they used to be fitted, its quite fascinating to think where these timbers may have traveled and what they may have been involved in.
John I can't take another picture as the piece isn't here anymore! I can tell you however,the board was 2" thick so its quite a shallow bowl,the shape of the back is rounded, that is one curve rather than an ogee style.

Johnny

Michelle Rich
03-19-2011, 7:26 AM
silk out of a sow's ear.. you did masterful work on this wood!

David E Keller
03-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! One of my favorite turnings posted here in recent memory. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Very impressive work Johnny! Love the rich color, the grain and the darkened detail rings! Like many others - I also love the history that goes along with this wonderful turning!

Beautiful work! Thanks so much for sharing!

Roland Martin
03-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Very well done Johnny! The inlays fit this piece wonderfully. Thanks for sharing.

Johnny Taylor
03-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! I love a grotty old piece of wood once in a while, sometimes you turn away the surface to find the most impressive character inside.