PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds...a man's best friend, too?

Phil Thien
03-18-2011, 6:56 PM
After struggling to find a decent way to grind the glue off my concrete, I broke-down and ordered one of these:

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=1773AK

The reviews on Amazon (where it sells for $380ish) were very positive. I had some concerns about doing a large area of flooring with it and keeping things smooth and level. But some of the Amazon user reviews indicated that this is exactly what people were using it for.

It has a port for a shop vac (my Fein hose fits perfectly). The shop vac catches the vast, vast majority of the dust. I run the air cleaner while working, in addition. The air cleaner doesn't seem to be picking up a lot of stone dust, so I'd say the shop vac collection is working great.

I was using my separator but I think I'm going to switch to just using a drywall bag and connecting directly to the shop vac. The dust that is created is very sticky, I'd just as soon keep it out of my wood dust collection stuff.

I have tools in my shop with no place to store them, so I'm doing this in two or three phases, where I move things, grind the floor, paint the floor, wait, move stuff back, and then move on to the next area.

Yes, it will take a couple of weeks to get it done like this. But I ground the entire space shown in the photo in about an hour or so, and at this rate the total grinding time for the entire project will likely only be about three to four hours. Seeing as I can do twenty to thirty minutes at a time before and after work, I can do this without it becoming a federal project.

I was also concerned that it would be difficult to use. What I discovered, though, is that I can hold the unit in one hand and drive it around like a ROS.

I spoke to paint vendors today. Tomorrow I'm going to pickup the materials I need to start painting. Hopefully by Sunday I'll be done with the first 1/3rd or so of the floor.

Greg R Bradley
03-18-2011, 8:19 PM
I was going to suggest that one when you posted about a "poor man's concrete grinder" but thought you didn't want to spend the money on a good tool.

I LOVE mine! I also use it with a Fein vacuum and it gets an incredible amount of dust.