PDA

View Full Version : Any PM 54A owners out there?

Dick Holt
03-18-2011, 6:45 PM
I am going to pull the trigger on a new PM 54A tomorrow (I think). Jet/Powermatic is having a 15 % off sale which ends Monday. I would like to know your opinions on the jointer. Is the fence easy to adjust ? What about cut quality ? Unfortunately, because of the sale, no one in the area has one on display I can look at. So I will be buying this blind. Thanks for your input.

Dick

Jim McFarland
03-18-2011, 7:34 PM
I've had a 54A for ~ 9 years and happy with it. Cut quality new was fine but I did install Byrd head a couple years back and get the same or better cuts plus a lot quieter operation. I bought the 54A vs a Jet at the time because of the longer bed on the 54A. 6" width is all I've needed for the projects I do but make sure you won't regret not getting an 8" before you buy! Adjusting fence for both bevel and cutting position is easy IMO although I rarely change the bevel from 90*. Happy tool hunting!

Mark Carlson
03-18-2011, 10:28 PM
I've had mine for 7 years or so. I also installed a byrd head which I love. I'm very happy with the jointer but just received a 12in Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer to replace it. I will proabably keep the 54a because I like it. I ordered the the Hammer A3-31 with a byrd head already installed.

Go Pats.
~mark

Dan Rude
03-19-2011, 12:22 AM
I guess I'm one of the old timer owners, I bought mine in '94. It was my second large shop tool after my C-Man table saw. It looks alot like the current Jet. I have no compliants and I have put alot of wood through it. The only limitation is it is a 6 in, and would have liked the longer tables on the new one I would think.