PDA

View Full Version : Dust Router by Keen.

Josh Bowman
03-18-2011, 6:18 PM
I am not associated with the Keen company. I bought the Keen Dust Router trying to tame the mess my router table makes. The installation on my Bench Dog lift went very smooth. I didn't even have to drill holes! I was able to use 3 of 6 holes used to hold the throat plate down, I just had to clean them up with a #6 tap, since I was putting the screws from underneath. The system is simple, it has a sheet of very heavy clear flexible plastic with a Velcro ring and hole in the middle to except the rubber cup that the router bit penetrates and is where the vacuum connects. The Velcro on the cup is sewn to the edge of the cup and simply sticks to the flexible sheet that is fitted and screwed to the bottom of your lift. Hoses, tees and fittings are provided to pull dust off of your fence and adapts to a 2 1/2" shop vac hose. The flexibility of the cup and sheet allows the router to be raised up high enough to change bits. I was a little worried about nicking the plastic sheet material with the shaft wrench, so I heated it up and bent it into a Z shape. Now it works great.
If like mine you can not bring the hose from underneath to the fence, from the back of your router table, you will find to route from the side will require extra hose....not included. Other than this, it's a great design. I use to spew dust 3 or 4 feet in front of my router table, now I only get some fuzzy stuff as the the bit enters the wood for a dado that is blown about 6 inches in front of the bit. And the dado is no longer packed with saw dust after the cut. The unit is a pretty good value for 40 bucks.
BTW, my router no longer gets doused in dust.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31%2BhddCG96L._SL500_AA300_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21OLUOfb2jL._AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21rmLEPDsML._AA300_.jpg

Neil Brooks
03-18-2011, 6:52 PM
MAN !

Browsing the Creek is fast becoming a matter of "Click, spend. Click. Spend."

:D

My DIY configuration is working QUITE well, on my table -- above and below, but ... if it weren't ... I'd pounce !

Josh Bowman
03-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Guys, this thing is great! I just cut 18 glue joints, that's 51 total feet in Poplar and look at the very little mess. In the past I would have had to vacuum the floor in-between operations, but the table stayed clean and only the floor got just a sprinkling of chips.

Bill Huber
03-21-2011, 12:40 PM
I have thought about looking in to that system but just never have, it does look good. Do you have to take something off to change the bit?

I see you are using the Bench Dog feather boards, if you like those you would love the Jessem ones, I sold my Bench Dogs and now just have the Jessem.

Josh Bowman
03-21-2011, 1:24 PM
I have thought about looking in to that system but just never have, it does look good. Do you have to take something off to change the bit?

I see you are using the Bench Dog feather boards, if you like those you would love the Jessem ones, I sold my Bench Dogs and now just have the Jessem.
Bill,
I just crank the router up and the cup that is inbetween the router and table flexes. I did bend the lower wrench some so it would more easily fit, since the router can't come all the way up.

Bruce Page
03-21-2011, 1:28 PM
Josh, I have a similar Benchdog setup on my Unisaw. Can you show how the hose runs underneath? When I looked at this in a catalog a few weeks ago I was concerned that the hose coming out from underneath would be in the way.

Josh Bowman
03-21-2011, 1:41 PM
Josh, I have a similar Benchdog setup on my Unisaw. Can you show how the hose runs underneath? When I looked at this in a catalog a few weeks ago I was concerned that the hose coming out from underneath would be in the way.
Here you go Bruce. If you get one, let me know and I'll show you how I installed it. I got by without having to drill any holes.

Bruce Page
03-21-2011, 1:52 PM
Thanks Josh. I can't remember which catalog I saw this in, where did you get yours from?

Josh Bowman
03-21-2011, 1:56 PM
Thanks Josh. I can't remember which catalog I saw this in, where did you get yours from?

Amazon with free shipping. Just search dust router

Bruce Page
03-21-2011, 1:59 PM
Thanks for the info.

Peter Quinn
03-21-2011, 7:20 PM
I put one on my Jessum lift, and its not a perfect installation on the Jessum rout-r-lift, the whole attachment mechanism with the plastic card and velcro wont work at all. But it just sort of hangs in there with a friction fit, it allows easy bit changes, and it catches pretty much all the dust. I wish they made one for my shaper too! I had debated building or buying a box but I like the idea of catching the dust before it hits my router motor better, and the dust router sure accomplishes that well. Glad to see others are having good luck with this thing as well.