PDA

View Full Version : Reverse on the Lathe

Jim Heikes
03-18-2011, 5:36 PM
I'm just slightly confused. Well maybe I'm greatly confused (it comes with my advancing years). What is (are) the advantage(s) to reverse rotation on my MM. I'm "assuming" it could be of value during sanding (laying down the grain) but I'm only guessing. Please straighten out this confused turning rookie.:confused::confused::confused:::confused:

Wally Wenzel
03-18-2011, 5:43 PM
You assumed correct
Wally

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2011, 6:02 PM
Jim - that's what I use reverse for - sanding. Honestly - it does make a huge difference when you run your hands over the turning!

Gary Max
03-18-2011, 6:07 PM
It's one of those deals-----once you have tried it you will never go back.

Bob Bergstrom
03-18-2011, 6:10 PM
See, you got it right. Slow rotation in reverse is an excellent way to cut the fiber that have been bent over int the turning process. A drill with a mandrel sanding pad or similar device is a real asset in making a boring job go faster.

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2011, 6:38 PM
I agree that it does make a huge difference when sanding.

Jim Burr
03-18-2011, 8:17 PM
I use reverse and an electric ROS and the sanding (seperate from finishing) always pleases me:D:cool:

John Beaver
03-18-2011, 8:45 PM
Good advice so far. Don't forget when reverse turning to secure the chuck, either with a set-screw or with pressure from the tailstock. You don't want the chuck to unthread off the lathe.

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-18-2011, 9:48 PM
I may be the only one here who finds that there are times when I actually turn in reverse. I'll sometimes use reverse when hollowing vessels. This came be especially handy if you get a little nipple in the center of a deep hollow vessel.
Just for clarification you must cut on the opposite side while turning in reverse.

James Combs
03-18-2011, 10:26 PM
I may be the only one here who finds that there are times when I actually turn in reverse. I'll sometimes use reverse when hollowing vessels. This came be especially handy if you get a little nipple in the center of a deep hollow vessel.
Just for clarification you must cut on the opposite side while turning in reverse.

I use it for sanding and like Joe I also turn in reverse on some occasions. It is easier to see the side you are cutting when you are doing a HF. Yes my chuck has a set screw and I use it.

Curt Fuller
03-18-2011, 10:28 PM
And.........if you buy chisels with reverse you can actually flip both switches, put the curlies back on the blank, and fix all you mistakes! Wouldn't that be nice!

Seriously though, I can tell you from experience that regardless of how sharp your tools are, they won't cut with the lathe in reverse. But it is a good indicator of when you need to go in the house and rest for a while.

Jon Nuckles
03-19-2011, 12:13 AM
I also sometimes hollow in reverse, usually because I am too lazy to take off the tailstock and slide the headstock down to the end of the bed to be able to turn off the end of the lathe. It does help in seeing where you are cutting as well. If I couldn't move the headstock on my PM, reverse would be a must for me.

Dennis Puskar
03-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Jim,

After all the comments here I am still confused, and I was just wondering if the spring pole lathes had reverse ?
I never had any use for reverse turning.

Jon Nuckles
03-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Dennis, The spring pole lathes run in reverse half the time; the difficulty is getting to the other side of the lathe fast enough to take advantage of it!

Michael James
03-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Jim,

After all the comments here I am still confused, and I was just wondering if the spring pole lathes had reverse ?
Of course they did, but it never caught on with production turners because it took too long to wind the rope in the opposite direction.

Dennis Puskar
03-19-2011, 12:50 AM
I am no longer confused. Thanks.