PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router

Dave Lehnert
03-18-2011, 4:01 PM
Why do I have to keep rebooting my wireless router? (computer router not woodworking router:D) I never lose my connection as I'm using the computer, Only after waking up my computer or rebooting. I can go days with no problem, but then have problems twice in one day.

Bryan Morgan
03-18-2011, 4:39 PM
Why do I have to keep rebooting my wireless router? (computer router not woodworking router:D) I never lose my connection as I'm using the computer, Only after waking up my computer or rebooting. I can go days with no problem, but then have problems twice in one day.

Is it a D-link?

Harry Hagan
03-18-2011, 6:41 PM
Dave,

I can’t give you an answer as to why it happens but you’re not alone. My Cisco router does the same thing occasionally and I’ve found a solution that doesn’t require rebooting the router. When it happens I:
1. “View Available Wireless Networks” on my laptop.
2. Disconnect from my network
3. Reconnect back to my network
Doing this reestablishes my connection. I also do this when the connection speed has slowed.

Dan Hintz
03-18-2011, 6:50 PM
It's a poor driver design issue...

Curt Harms
03-19-2011, 9:38 AM
It's a poor driver design issue...

That's what I was thinking. We had a Linksys WRT54G that did the same thing--sucked when it went on vacation with a VOIP phone adapter plugged into it. A driver update fixed the problem.

Dick Latshaw
03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Is it a D-link?

I'd bet not. I've not had to reboot my DLink in four years of continuous use. (Of course, it's rebooted a number of times when the power went off - no UPS.)

Dave Lehnert
03-19-2011, 4:38 PM
It is a westell router. How do you update a driver in a router?

David G Baker
03-19-2011, 4:53 PM
Dave,
To update your router's driver in most cases you go to the manufacturer's web site and download them from Westell or if your router is made by a different manufacturer you will have to search the Net until you find the actual manufacturer. Sometime cable companies put their name on routers that they supply but are made by a different company.

Myk Rian
03-19-2011, 5:17 PM
Is it a D-link?
My D-link has never given me problems in over 7 years of 24/7 use.

Myk Rian
03-19-2011, 5:19 PM
It is a westell router. How do you update a driver in a router?

There are no drivers in the router, but the firmware can be updated.

paul cottingham
03-19-2011, 5:24 PM
Be aware that flashing a router can brick it. There is a good chance it is just flaking out, and you need a new one, they often don't last all that long. I have had good luck with linksys routers with WRT installed, but tht is not for the faint of heart.

Dan Hintz
03-20-2011, 7:59 AM
Paul,

His description doesn't sound like a flaky router... this only happens upon wake-up from sleep at the computer. If it was happening at random times, then I would agree it was getting flaky. Last month the wireless signal from our router (Verizon) was getting progressively worse. What should have been 15Mbps (our purchased speed) was already down to 1.5Mbps, causing NetFlix to buffer continually throughout a movie. I plugged in another router and the wireless jumped right back up to 15Mbps. Swapped out routers with Verizon and the problem disappeared... the antenna/transmit section was just going to pot :-/

paul cottingham
03-20-2011, 8:14 PM
I have seen this behaviour in lots of consumer routers. It was fixed by replacing it. thats all I'm saying.

Bryan Morgan
03-22-2011, 6:41 PM
My D-link has never given me problems in over 7 years of 24/7 use.

Every Dlink I've ever owned has been nothing but problems... but then I tweak all the settings too. No option should ever be left default! :)

Paul Ryan
03-22-2011, 8:40 PM
I had the same problem with a belkin router, would have to reboot it a couple times a week. Nothing would connect to it. Once rebooted it would work until it didn't, reboot and away I went. I finally replaced it after about 3 months of that garbage. I replaced it with a linksys and have been using this for 3 years with only a reboot about 1 time per year.

paul cottingham
03-22-2011, 8:48 PM
My strong suspicion is that the router looses its routing table or the dhcp server is flaking. I can't prove it. When you lose the connection you could try pinging the router. It you can, its the route table. If you can't its likely something to do with dhcp. To test that, hard code an address to the laptop and see if the problem goes away.

Bryan Morgan
03-23-2011, 12:47 PM
If you have an Android phone you can run Wifi Analyzer and see if you have any neighbors on the same channel, messing with your signal. Its easy enough to switch to another channel. Use 1, 6, or 11