PDA

View Full Version : Built in router table?

John Kali
03-18-2011, 2:40 PM
I have a bench top router table right now and it never moves....ever. I use it for almost every project because I am mostly just building spearguns. Anyway, I am finally getting a dedicated 14x30 shed for my woodworking, and was tossing around the idea of getting one of woodpeckers phenolic tables and building it into a work bench. Has anyone done this before? Why shouldn't I do this, other than the obvious reason of not being able to move it?

I thought about building it into a cart like so many of you have done, but I am still undecided.

Also while on the subject of router tables, how many of you use the incra jig ultra router system? Is it worth the money?

Thanks in advance, John K

Bill Huber
03-18-2011, 3:42 PM
First Jessem has the imported Phenolic table tops for $109.
http://www.jessemdirect.com/Phenolic_Mast_R_Top_p/03004a.htm

I see no reason you could not make the router table into your bench, it would save some space. I have a 12x16 shop and I did make a router table and it really does not take up that much room. I can be working on something on the bench and still go to the router table to do what needs to be done. My table is not on wheels and I have not ever moved it form where it is.

I really cannot comment on the Inca Jig, it does look like a good system but then it cost a lot also.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-18-2011, 3:44 PM
I frequently pound on my bench, which is more abuse than I expect the router top to take not to mention the holes in the top (that you could cover). Have you considered building it into either your table saw or an outfeed table?

glenn bradley
03-18-2011, 3:52 PM
How about a router table built into a bench that is an outfeed table? Not mine.

Jerome Hanby
03-18-2011, 4:58 PM
If you have a table saw, I'd be tempted to get a cast iron router table wing for it. Of course, I'm an Incra Joinery system fan and that setup lets you use the system for saw and router.

Ryan Hellmer
03-18-2011, 5:29 PM
I have mine built in to the right hand extension of my table saw and LOVE it. It's a good height, mobile, and very space efficient. I built it when I was in my 12x20 shop to save space. Now I have a shop more than twice that size and I have no intention of changing it. I built a separate fence, some folks like to use the same fence for cutting and routing, but I can still rip to about 18" with the router table set up, which has been enormously helpful.

I also use my tablesaw for most of my assembly. I have a workbench, but it's usually covered in junk. I don't think there would be a problem with either setup, provided that you don't beat on the router portion.

Ryan

John Kali
03-18-2011, 7:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Right now I only have an old craftsman contractors saw that I got from my grandfather. Im not sure I want to put a whole lot of time or money into a wing for it since I plan on getting a new saw sometime in the next year or so. Also, since the router table is by far one of my most used tools, I would like to incorporate some form of dust collection (havent seen that on the saw mounted routers). All that leads me to think a dedicated router station will suit my needs best.

Randy Dutkiewicz
03-18-2011, 8:26 PM

WOW! Now THAT is a really cool setup!:O

Philip Rodriquez
03-22-2011, 9:54 AM
I have a stand-alone router table that has locking casters. When I am not routing, I cover it with a piece of OSB and I use it to support my other bench top tools. This allows me to: (1) Move it around the shop (2) Use the same DC drop (3) Keep my other areas clear.

Brian Tymchak
03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
...I would like to incorporate some form of dust collection (havent seen that on the saw mounted routers).

I'm still mid-installation on my router extension on my TS, but I have an enclosed box (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22208&filter=32321&pn=32321) mounted to the underside of my router extension table. it has a 4" port for DC. I have the Incra fence system which allows a DC hook up as well at the end of the fence. Can't tell you how well that works yet. I've seen some other posts here on the Creek with examples of DC for router extensions.

Mike Heidrick
03-22-2011, 1:51 PM
WOW! Now THAT is a really cool setup!:O

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad Gobble
03-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Glenn,
LOVE your design. I am in the middle of making a cabinet for mine as well, incorporating my new Jessem setup (to replace my old Jessem setup!) My design is similar except: no routher lift in the left side of the blade and 2. outfeed was going to be two layers of 3/4" w/ laminate top 3.) was going to build a separate roubeau bench, but this opens new ideas ...

fine work!!

Kent A Bathurst
03-23-2011, 12:31 PM
.........I am mostly just building spearguns.......

OK - I'll bite. You mean as in scuba-diving-fish-killing stuff? Groovy.

Pics?

Carl Civitella
03-23-2011, 1:34 PM
I have the Ultra Incra installed on the right side of my TS and i like it alot. It is an old Craftsman contracter saw with an upgraded Excalibur fence sytem. I am probably as old as your grandfather so it is a good bet that it is the same saw that you have. Everything works good. I bought two big 4" Gulp Dust Collection conections where i have one built into the a box under saw and one into a box under router table extention. That collects much of the chips coming out on the bottom into my HF dust collector. Next on my list is the Wonder fence with a port coming out for the top. Carl

Adam Shapiro
03-23-2011, 5:58 PM
I've got a variation on your original post. I only have a Bosch jobsite saw, but I built a roughly 3'x7' workbench around it, kind of like the work center ideas for all the contractor saws. The base is a bunch of reframed old cabinets from when I redid the kitchen (I hate throwing things away). I cut an opening in the benchtop to the right of the saw to drop in the top from a Kreg portable router table, one day I'll get around to making 3 partitions inside that cabinet so I can store bits on the sides and hook up dust collection from the center where the router sits. I keep a sheet of hardboard around that I throw over the whole table top whenever I'm doing larger glue ups or spraying finish.

What I like about this setup is it fits into my ridiculously small basement shop, but also, I really like that I have a router table that's basically 7 feet long. 3 1/2 feet of support on either side means I don't have to set up roller stands every time I cut long trim pieces, and heavy parts are never a problem to feed through. A portable router station would have meant my work bench was made that much smaller to fit, and I like the extra room to pile stuff up or shove out of my way. What I don't like about the set up, apart from the fact that it seems I'll never finish it, is that the area of my workbench I can really bang on is that much smaller. And, that I have all that extra stuff piled up and shoved in the path of the router when I need to use it. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably do the same general thing, but skip the router table and just cut holes for the router plate and fence right into my bench. I'm already working on an idea to marry the router's miter track with a Festool guide, we'll see if it ever happens.

Christopher Dopp
03-24-2011, 10:21 PM
I built the outfeed/router/assembly table below. The right side of table holds the router and has drawers for a bunch of router bits and accessories. The front doors each have two full extension pull out drawers and holds a bunch of tools. I still need to finish up the router cabinet door and route out channels in the outfeed table for the miter bars. Also needs some final leveling and a few trim pieces.

tom coleman
03-24-2011, 11:23 PM
I am thinking of doing the same. I think Woodpecker's largest table is 53 x 27. I plan on building a cabinet to support this top and designing it so it replaces my currrent 6 foot assembly table and incorporating rails to faciliatate holddowns for Kreg pocket hole joinery. I am debating 4 locking casters vn only 2 casters and solid legs on the other end? I think also incorporating storage space for short hardwood cutoffs that are candidates for future router projects makes sense for me

John Kali
03-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Wow, I thought this thread died a while ago. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I am going to try and build it into an outfeed table like a few have mentioned. Hopefully I will get to the actual build out soon. Wiring and insulation still needs to be done...Joy...

As for pics of the spearguns, I dont have any on this computer (at work). Maybe I will start a new thread and PM you the link.

John K

Carl Babel
03-29-2011, 2:18 AM
Glenn, that is brilliant integration of 20th/21st century tech and classic workbench design!

Norman Hitt
03-29-2011, 3:03 AM
Glenn, that is brilliant integration of 20th/21st century tech and classic workbench design!

As Glenn said, it is NOT his, but it surrounds a Sawstop that resides in a basement shop called the "Dungeon", in Tokyo. It IS a beautiful and functionally designed and built bench/table.