PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Grizzly cyclone with the bag gripping system?

Matt Meiser
03-18-2011, 9:58 AM
I noticed in the latest instruction manual for the G0441 and possibly other models that Grizzly is apparently adding a bag gripping system that uses vacuum generated by a hose that is connected to the cyclone cone and the drum to generate a vacuum between the bag and drum. It appears to do away with the need for something inside the bag which would be handy--and cleaner.

Anyone have one? Does it work well? Could you post photos?

I'm thinking this would be easy to retrofit and maybe even do as a DIY mod.

Joe Angrisani
03-18-2011, 5:33 PM
Very interesting, Matt......

Until someone chimes in, I'll post what I found. The parts are on the exploded diagram and parts list, and in the assembly instructions and photos, but not in the "Buy Parts" listing. Besides 5/16 nuts and bolts and sealing foam, we'll need:

Cyclone Vacuum Tube, part# P0440080
Collection Drum Vacuum Tube, # P0440086
Collection Drum Vacuum Ring, # P0440092
Vacuum Hose, 1-1/4" x 98", # ?

That's really weird. Earlier I looked at the G0441 parts list PDF and jotted down some part numbers. I missed the part number for the Vacuum Hose, and when I just went back to look, the PDF parts diagrams do not show the vacuum parts anymore (they were diagram #101-113). Now the part listing/numbers are gone, and the drawings do not show the vacuum pieces either.

http://cdn4.grizzly.com/partslists/g0441_pl.pdf

Peter Stahl
03-18-2011, 5:40 PM
Matt,

Not the Grizzly system but I saw this a while ago and thought it was a neat (literally) idea. It's a bagging system for a cyclone (www dot parksandparks dot com/)

Matt Meiser
03-18-2011, 5:51 PM
Maybe it hasn't made it into production yet or was canceled on the G0441? The G0703/G0703P has this feature and is advertised as having it.

Joe Angrisani
03-18-2011, 7:25 PM
Maybe it hasn't made it into production yet or was canceled on the G0441? The G0703/G0703P has this feature and is advertised as having it.

The thing I can't figure is why I could see the "new" parts diagrams and part numbers on the G0441 and G0440 pages two hours before my post, but you can't see them now.

Matt Meiser
03-18-2011, 7:44 PM
Maybe we made them aware :)

Peter Stahl
03-18-2011, 7:46 PM
Matt,

I didn't look before I posted. It looks really staight forward. Connect the hose from the cyclone to the drum and make sure everything is sealed well. In the parts list for the G0703 Part# 38-1 is DRUM SUCTION PIPE SEAL. Onida has the bag gripper which does the same thing. Maybe someone with a Bag Gripper can say how they like it and how it works.

Joe Angrisani
03-18-2011, 8:19 PM
I didn't look before I posted. It looks really staight forward. Connect the hose from the cyclone to the drum and make sure everything is sealed well.

It's a little more complicated than that. There is some type of tube/pipe that sticks INTO the cyclone, I would guess something that disrupts the airflow in the cyclone as little as possible while providing an attachment for the hose. There are also two parts IN the drum; another tube/pipe, and a ring that appears to sit under the bag to allow a vacuum to be pulled under the entire bag. Guessing again, I'd bet the tube/pipe reaches into this ring and while providing hose attachment. The hose itself was listed as 1-1/4"x98". Four main pieces, plus nuts/bolts/washers/seals.

Matt Meiser
03-18-2011, 8:30 PM
I figure its just a flange on the outside with a tube. I could fabricate it all pretty easily. I think the idea isn't to pull a vacuum but to just equalize the vacuum on both sides of the bag so it doesn't get sucked up into the cone.

Putting a shield in the bag work--just dusty when you pull it out.

Joe Angrisani
03-24-2011, 7:17 PM
The picture's back on the "Purchase Parts" page, but the actual pieces aren't listed for sale. The parts are still not shown in the "Parts List - PDF" page.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0441/parts

Joe Angrisani
04-21-2011, 10:37 AM
You can buy the pieces now. Click on the link in my last post and it will take you to the "Order Parts" page for the G0441. Scroll down and part numbers and prices are listed.

Matt Meiser
04-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Ouch--adds up to kind of an expensive upgrade. Of course buying service parts that's to be expected and not a slam on Grizzly in any way. $160 delivered for the two tubes, the hose, and the ring for the drum. I figure everything else could be had at the local hardware.

Joe Angrisani
04-21-2011, 4:20 PM
Ouch--adds up to kind of an expensive upgrade. Of course buying service parts that's to be expected and not a slam on Grizzly in any way. $160 delivered for the two tubes, the hose, and the ring for the drum. I figure everything else could be had at the local hardware.

I thought "Ouch", too. I stopped adding it up when it zipped past $100.

I'm off to finally pick up the G0441 that I had a gentleman's agreement on for about 6 weeks now. He was moving but was having trouble getting time to come back and wrap things up. I went and checked it out this morning, then took down all the ducting and blast gates it's coming with. Removed the filter bracket and filter, so we're ready to load now that I have a helper for the heavy piece.

It wasn't nearly as loud as I was expecting. Deeper pitched, maybe, is a part of it? And absolutely unobtrusive from outside with the garage door closed.

Matt.... Do you have any thoughts on the resonance (if that's the right word) in your installation where it's wall mounted? Does it "drum" at all from outside?

Matt Meiser
04-21-2011, 4:41 PM
I've never listened to mine from outside.

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-21-2011, 9:39 PM
Hi Matt. I have the G0440 and it has the bag gripping system. As Joe stated, it is basically a long hose, a tube into the rear of the cyclone, a tube into the collection barrel and a ring in the bottom of the collection barrel. I'll be completely honest with you and say that I really haven't paid much attention to it and basically thought it was standard on all Grizzly cyclones. Also, I haven't even emptied my first barrel full of dust yet (just installed and started using it about 2 months ago.) I did look inside earlier today just to check the level of dust and what I CAN say is that the bag isn't collapsed or anything. It's actually pulled against the side of the collection barrel very nicely. I'd be more than happy to send some pics of what it looks like for ya. I guess without comparing what a cyclone WITH a bag grabber and one without actually looks like, I'd be hard pressed to know if it is something worth investing in.

Matt Meiser
04-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I'd love to see photos. Maybe I can fabricate my own parts.

Joe Angrisani
04-22-2011, 4:47 PM
I'd love to see photos. Maybe I can fabricate my own parts.

Yeah. What he said.

Post 'em, Randy, if you would.

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-22-2011, 5:02 PM
Here ya go Matt. I emptied my drum so you'd be able to see what it looks like put together. In the first pic, there is a tube (I'd say about 10-12 inches long which is roughly the radius of the lower cyclone) that goes into the lower part of the cyclone at a 45 degree angle. The tube is about 1 1/4" in diameter. Basically, it's purpose is to draw air out of the collection barrel in order to create a suction. The end of the tube (which you obviously can't see since it's inside the cyclone) is cut at a 45 degree angle on the end (with the long part on top). I remember this from putting it together. The part you see in photo 1 and 2 coming out of the cyclone pertrudes about 4 inches - just enough to secure the 1 1/4 inch diameter hose and clamp to it. Photo 3 just shows the length of the hose - about 7 feet, but I'm sure you can cut it down some. I chose to keep the full length for when I have to pull the barrel out from the wall to take the bag out. Photos 4, 5, and 6 show the hose going into the collection barrel. Again, there is a short (about 3-4 inch) piece of 1" inch tubing that pertrudes from the outside of the barrel to connect the hose and clamp to. Photo 7 shows the ring inside of the collection barrel. It sits at a 45 degree angle in the barrel and is approx. 5-6 inches wide with several holes around its circumference. Photo 8 shows the bag placed into the barrel and over the ring. Again, when I first pulled off the top cover, the bag was completely pulled up against the walls of the barrel. Seems like a weird design and one that confuses me a bit on its functionality, but hey, the instructions called for it - the bag isn't collapsed inside, so I guess it works. I agree that it's crazy expensive from the factory and am sure you could make something. The only thing is that you'd have to dismantle the lower section of your cyclone to install the top tubing (to get the nuts and bolts on). Hope this helps.

Randy

Matt Meiser
04-30-2011, 6:53 PM
Thanks Randy!

I had occasion to visit Grizzly in Springfield, MO on Thursday and Rockler in St. Louis yesterday. I snapped a few photos of the Grizzly they had on display (a smaller model) and the Laguna at Rockler which has something similar as seen in the last photo. It looks pretty easy to fabricate everything.

Randy Dutkiewicz
04-30-2011, 7:55 PM
Great! Sure wish I was close the Grizzly showroom - although my LOML would probably have a heart attack if I walked into that place. She KNOWS I wouldn't leave empty handed:) Yeah, it doesn't look like it'd be all that difficult to construct something identical. Seems pretty straight forward actually. Let me know how it all goes if you do decide to do it.

David Thompson 27577
05-01-2011, 3:13 PM
I noticed in the latest instruction manual for the G0441 and possibly other models that Grizzly is apparently adding a bag gripping system ...............................

I'm not at all familiar with the gripping system you mention. Assuming that it either assists, or replaces, the difficult-to-attach bag-and-band system that many collectors have, I have a suggestion.

Get a small handful of small rare earth magnets. When replacing the bag/band, use the magnets to hold the top edge of the bag in place, till you can close the clasp on the band.

Then plan to use a flat-tip screwdriver to remove the magnets.