PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0453 Setup Help

Mike Goetzke
03-17-2011, 10:55 PM
I've been trying to setup my new G0453PX planer after work this week. I set the extensions flat to the main table and the bed rollers to 0.002" above the bed. My results were 0.003" snipe on the infeed side of the board and faint lines on the left side of the board from the out feed rollers. Plus I can hear a slap near the end of the cut - I think it's the chip breaker?

I read some posts about set up and see several suggest to set the in feed roller and chip breaker to 0.020" below BDC of the spiral head (spec is 0.040"). I also set the outfeed roller to 0.010" the spec is 0.020".

I'm now getting snipe on the outfeed side of the board plus still see faint outfeed roller marks on the board but more even across the whole board and I still hear the slap (European steamed beech).

The manual says to adjust the outfeed pressure bar but mine doesn't have one (should it?)

Any suggestions on next steps?

Thanks,

Mike

glenn bradley
03-17-2011, 11:23 PM
I answered this off the top of my head in another thread. I am home now so I got out my shop made Rotocator and checked. Glad I did. I corrected my entry on the other thread and it is repeated here:

A. Infeed Roller...... 0.030"
B. Chip Breaker....... 0.025"
C. Pressure Bar....... x.xxx" No worries, these are only on the 20" machines.
D. Outfeed Roller..... 0.020"
E. Bed Roller......... 0.000" for smoother lumber, yep that's ZERO.

The adjustment often not discussed is feed roller tension. Grizzly factory sets them at about 1/8" exposed on 3 of them and 5/16" on the last one. Mine are set much lighter. No snipe and only the occasional outfeed roller mark if I am taking a very, very light cut. Anything at 1/32" or more is pretty much tool mark free.

Here's my feed roller tension settings and some cherry I just ran tonight:

Mike Goetzke
03-18-2011, 8:41 AM
Wow - you provided more than I asked for. From all my messing around, I'm pretty good at the adjustments now:D. I'll try your settings tonight. Only thing that's a real pain is taking the dust shoot on/off to make the chip breaker adjustment.

That's some nice cherry! I'm already impressed with the finish from this machine myself - just need to finish fine tuning it.

On the spring tension. I saw that in the manual and was wondering if that would eliminate the outfeed roller lines I see.

1) Looks like you backed the tension screw out to about 3/8"????

2) Bed rollers to zero:eek:? (was wondering the reason these are even there - anyone know?)

3) How did you set the in/out extension tables (flat or upward on the ends)?

Thanks,

Mike

Rob Holcomb
03-18-2011, 4:59 PM
Thank you for the help Glenn. Guess how I'm spending my Saturday morning :)

Mike Goetzke
03-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Glenn - you be the man! I set up my G0453PX like you suggested and no noticeable snipe.

Time to make chips.

Mike

Rob Holcomb
03-19-2011, 4:04 PM
I had just the opposite experience with these settings. The board I put through wouldn't feed at a consistent rate. Time to do some more adjusting!

Rick Sahlman
04-02-2011, 8:05 AM
Glen

Hard to see in the pictures but are those tension screws set at 1/4" each and the fourth one at 3/8"....also mine is brand new and I'm getting some black on the underside of the wood (from table?).....cleaned the tables off with naptha after scraping table with a scrap piece of wood to get rid of most of the gook. Then I waxed the tables as well and buffed them....do you think that because it is brand new that this may go away after I run enough scrap wood through it??

Glen did you add the DRO and which one and how did that turn out if you did??

Thanks all

Mike Goetzke
04-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Glen

Hard to see in the pictures but are those tension screws set at 1/4" each and the fourth one at 3/8"....also mine is brand new and I'm getting some black on the underside of the wood (from table?).....cleaned the tables off with naptha after scraping table with a scrap piece of wood to get rid of most of the gook. Then I waxed the tables as well and buffed them....do you think that because it is brand new that this may go away after I run enough scrap wood through it??

Glen did you add the DRO and which one and how did that turn out if you did??

Thanks all

Rick - I also just recently bought one of these machines. For the DRO see my post here G0453 DRO. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162264-Wixey-Remote-Planer-DRO-on-a-Grizzly-G0453PX-15-quot-Planer&highlight=wixey)

Black lines? - Did you paste was the table yet?

Rick Sahlman
04-02-2011, 3:44 PM
Mike

paste as in paste wax....yes I did