PDA

View Full Version : ebonized bed project

Stephen Pereira
03-17-2011, 10:39 PM

Getting this picture attached was a bear. I've got a new camera, had to navitate Photoshop to resize image etc..took me forever.

I'm making brass plugs to fill the holes seen in the pic but I was too impatient to try out my new camera... so here it is.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
03-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Nice look Stephen . . . what is the wood? It appears to be ash or oak from the grain I can see . . .

Stephen Pereira
03-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Good call..it is ash. Used ash cause I have lots of it and it was inexpensive. This was project was a lot of work. I learned a lot about ebonizing wood. I've got one more bed to make. I'm tempted to spray paint it black, sand lightly to expose wood grain and then topcoat.

Tony Bilello
03-27-2011, 9:18 PM
..... I'm tempted to spray paint it black, sand lightly to expose wood grain and then topcoat.

I don't know what you did the first time around so I'll suggest using black lacquer. It goes on thin and is perfect for ebonizing. Nothing else to do unless you want to use a vinyl sealer first.

Quick and easy.

Stephen Pereira
03-28-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't know what you did the first time around so I'll suggest using black lacquer. It goes on thin and is perfect for ebonizing. Nothing else to do unless you want to use a vinyl sealer first.

Quick and easy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have spray capabilities..I'm assuming black lacquer is sprayed on?