PDA

View Full Version : Tree ID part 1

Mike Cruz
03-17-2011, 10:13 PM
As if there aren't enough tree ID threads, I thought I'd add another (actually two...there's another one to follow this one :o). Also, anyone ever work with this wood? What does it look like inside? Thanks.

Donny Lawson
03-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Is that rough bark? If it is I'm no help, but if the bark looks like the mumps you have a nice Hackberry tree. I'm not 100% sure from the pic.

Mike Cruz
03-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I thought it might be hackberry. Is it nice to turn? What does the inside/heartwood look like?

Brian Effinger
03-17-2011, 11:10 PM
What does it look like inside? Thanks.
I'm willing to bet it looks like wood inside. ;) :p :D
And, you're welcome. :D

Mike Cruz
03-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Brian, should I have expected anything more helpful from you...? Nah....:D

I looked it up online, and it seems to vary from tight grained light wood with dark splotches to almost walnut in color and grain...

Jon Lanier
03-18-2011, 12:36 AM
It is made from some kind of wood. You might want it. It doesn't just grow on trees you know.

Stephen Walker
03-18-2011, 2:49 AM
Mike,

Looks like hackberry to me also. Just cut three down this winter, and this looks just like them. The for sure way to tell is to look at the smaller diameter limbs and if the bark has squarish sharp edged warts and ridges, it's hackberry. As far as the wood goes, it will be a creamy yellos/white color, stringy when split fairly heavy and dense while green, and lightens up considerably (in weight) when dry. Yet it tends to maintain its yellow/white color. If you happen to find a staanding deadfall, or a log on the ground, it spalts great.Search for an older thread titled "polo blanco" and you'll find a pic of some spalted hackberry that I came accross this past winter.

Steve

Mike Cruz
03-18-2011, 7:15 AM
Thanks, Steven, that was very helpful. I will look into that thread.