PDA

View Full Version : This is getting "CRAZY"......

Donny Lawson
03-17-2011, 7:57 PM
Well, this is the 3rd load of wood this week and I have another load lined up for tomorrow morning. The first load was all Maple,the second load was all Hackberry and this load is one huge Maple log and the rest is Box Elder. The Maple log is 20" plus through.The Hackberry is 14-16" through.Two weeks ago I brought home 5 Hackberry logs at 6ft long. I put them in the woods to spalt or rot. It will depend on when I get back to them. I've got a feeling I'm not going to have time to turn since I will be cutting and cutting and cutting.Too bad someone doesn't live close enough to take some of it home. I've got piles of it from last year I haven't gotten to yet. It will probally be just as bad next week since it's going to be a pretty weekend and everyone will be cutting trees.I have offered it to our local turning club but they all have plenty of wood and I hate to see it turned into mulch so I bring it home and hope I can find time to do something with it.

John Keeton
03-17-2011, 8:00 PM
Donny, you need a MUCH bigger trailer if you keep up this habit!! That multi-branch chunk is going to have some wild figure.

Dick Wilson
03-17-2011, 8:24 PM
Oh, you poor boy, what a maddening position to be in - tons of wood. :D:D Better quit your day job if you are not retired. Sure want to see turnings from it. Great find.

Bruce Sanders
03-17-2011, 8:37 PM
Thats a fine lot of wood there Donny, my wife has banned me from bringing anymore home till I get rid of some that I have

Lee Koepke
03-17-2011, 8:48 PM
Donny ... I am not that far from Chatsworth .... I have been collecting more wood than I can turn, but I'd like to turn some maple ... its one of my favoritest flatwoods. Maybe I'll have to take the wife and doggie for a ride ????

Roger Chandler
03-17-2011, 8:51 PM
Donny........that is a nice problem to have if you have to have a problem!

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2011, 9:29 PM
Wow! Congrats on all that wood! Get it sealed, stored out of the sun and then go get more!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Donny Lawson
03-17-2011, 9:45 PM
Donny ... I am not that far from Chatsworth .... I have been collecting more wood than I can turn, but I'd like to turn some maple ... its one of my favoritest flatwoods. Maybe I'll have to take the wife and doggie for a ride ????

Lee, About the only maple I've turned is spalted. Since I have some fresh cut pieces I will try a regular piece(Non Spalted) next week. I like to spalt wood alot. Here lately I don't have a choice.(More wood than I can keep up with).

Darren Jamieson
03-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Someday if you ever run out you'll think back and say "man I wish I had all that wood again"

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Congrats Donny. Ought to be a bunch of nice turnings in that bunch.

Thomas Canfield
03-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Donny,

I haven't found the 12 step program for wood collecting yet either. Congratulations on the good material. Looks like you have your work cut out for you preparing blanks and rough turnings. Do you have a coring system? That looks like a lot of wood shavings in any case.

Baxter Smith
03-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Congrats Donny. Somewhat hard to imagine many turners needing to buy/order every piece of wood they turn!

Donny Lawson
03-17-2011, 10:40 PM
No coring system but my wife has plenty of shavings for her flowerbed or its great for the garden.

Ron Stadler
03-17-2011, 10:49 PM
What the heck, everyone's holding on to there trees around here this year. Can't find any on craigslist, but after I cut up those two piece of white oak I just got maybe its better it come in moderation. Anyway enjoy.

Michael James
03-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Sheesh...some guys can't get a break. Sorry you're having this chronic problem Donny!:p

Dan Forman
03-18-2011, 3:47 AM
That ought to keep you out of trouble for a while! Would love to see inside that quad crotch.

Dan

Donny Lawson
03-18-2011, 6:50 AM
That ought to keep you out of trouble for a while! Would love to see inside that quad crotch.

Dan

I just wish I knew how to start cutting on it. I may have to post a few more pics of it and get advise on that one.

Roland Martin
03-18-2011, 7:19 AM

Dan

That crotch does look really interesting. I think a pulp truck may be in order, along with a 5 gallon bucket of Anchorseal:)