PDA

View Full Version : Southwestern Weed Pot

Bill Bulloch
03-17-2011, 6:22 PM
Here is a Southwestern Weed Pot I just finished. It is Honduras Mahogany and Yellowheart. I added yellow die to the grain filler and finished with five coats of WOP. The Diameter is 9 1/2 inches and the height is 7 1/2.

This picture does not do the finish of this piece justice. The yellow die in the pours really makes this thing pop. I am going to let it sit up for about a week, then hand rub it to a mirrow finish.

What ya think?

Michael James
03-17-2011, 6:25 PM
Very nice piece Bill! I do not have the patience for segmented work. When you call it a weed pot, is it not hollowed out? Curious in NM. Thanks for posting.
mj

Bill Bulloch
03-17-2011, 6:31 PM
It's hollowed to about 1/4 inch down to the bottom which is about 5/8s. Maybe I should have said Southwestern Vessel.

Ron Stadler
03-17-2011, 6:42 PM
I think it looks pretty darn good for a weed pot, if you want to call it that. Geesh, gotta be the best lookin weed pot Iv'e ever seen.

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2011, 6:46 PM
Bill - I agree with Michael - this is a hollow form and should be given the respect due!

Only thing I see wrong with this is that the photo is to small to see the details of your work! You are allowed up to a 1024 pixel photo with a file size no larger than 107 KB.

Tim Thiebaut
03-17-2011, 6:49 PM
That is very nice Bill, this is a great looking HF.

Mark Hubl
03-17-2011, 6:50 PM
Looks nicer than most of the weed pots I have seen. Nice work.

Darren Jamieson
03-17-2011, 7:52 PM
I like the woods that you used and the finish does look like it would feel very nice but, IMO it should be a little bit more round at the top leeding up to the neck. It looks like a wierd transition or flat spot but really I am just being picky.

John Keeton
03-17-2011, 7:56 PM
Bill, looks like excellent joinery! I love working with mahogany, and while I can't really see the effect of the yellow tint, I bet the appearance "in hand" is much better than the pic.

Jim Burr
03-17-2011, 7:59 PM
I'd like to see a better representation of it's size Bill. Finish and choice of wood look great!

Roger Chandler
03-17-2011, 9:32 PM
I'll tell 'ya Bill...........I think you are really on your game! That segmented joinery is first class! I have to agree with Steve...........that is definitely more than a weed pot................Can't wait till you post some better pics with the finish finished!

Baxter Smith
03-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Very stunning for a "weed pot"!

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Bill that is a beautiful piece. I like the form, finish and your joinery looks awful nice.

Dan Forman
03-18-2011, 3:53 AM
Really nice work, I think you might have meant seed pot rather than weed pot.

Dan

Roland Martin
03-18-2011, 7:31 AM
Very nice segmented HF, Bill. As has been noted, a larger pic & close-up would be really nice. You do some really great segmented turnings.

Bill Bulloch
03-18-2011, 7:47 AM
Bill - I agree with Michael - this is a hollow form and should be given the respect due!

Only thing I see wrong with this is that the photo is to small to see the details of your work! You are allowed up to a 1024 pixel photo with a file size no larger than 107 KB.

Would a Hollow Form by another name not smell the same?

I resized the photo to 1024 pixels. Lets see the difference.

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2011, 8:04 AM
Bill - thanks for the larger photo... it does make a difference! In the larger photo - I can really see how really tight all the joinery is - which is amazing!

When I see Weed Pot in the title... it brings up images of a very nice form that has a hole drilled into it instead of being hollowed out. Weed pot would take a few minutes to make.... hollow form would take a little longer and should be recognized for the extra effort. Those were/are my thoughts on the matter!

Very nice hollow form! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Brian Kent
03-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I honestly do not know what a weed pot is. Could anyone explain?

I really like the segmented piece. Beautiful!

Ron Stadler
03-18-2011, 11:05 AM
I honestly do not know what a weed pot is. Could anyone explain?

I really like the segmented piece. Beautiful!

Brian, from what I understand a weed pot is just a small vase shape form with a hole drilled in it to display a small arrangement of decorative weeds or weed flowers but it really is not hollowed out to a set wall thickness throughout the piece.

Brian Kent
03-18-2011, 1:05 PM
Got it. Thanks. Ron.

Brian

Robert McGowen
03-18-2011, 1:22 PM
Can't say that I am sold on the form, but the segmenting work itself is excellent!

Dan Forman
03-18-2011, 2:09 PM
Just to clarify, what we turners think of as southwest style hollow forms with small top openings are traditionally called seed pots as native american pottery. As mentioned before, weed pots are small, drilled but not hollowed vase like forms often used to display dried seed heads of weeds and grasses.

Dan

Sid Matheny
03-18-2011, 8:15 PM
Another outstanding segmented HF Bill. You have been doing some beauties lately.

Sid

Michelle Rich
03-19-2011, 7:38 AM
weedpot/hollow form..doesn't matter what it is called..I always use the word" Vessel" when I'm unsure!!! It is a wildly different shape from anything I've ever seen.. a foot..a squashed shape, and a tiny neck..I think we'll call it a B.B. vessel!! the joints look nice & clean.