PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0453 Adjustment help

Rob Holcomb
03-17-2011, 5:38 PM
I have the G0453 15" Planer with the 3 knives. I'm confused as to what the best adjustment measurements should be. According to the manual, Grizzly recommends one set of measurements while the Taunton Press video recommendations for planer adjustments to be a little different. For those of you that have the G0453 planer, what adjustment settings do you find work best? I generally plane rough cut lumber. Thanks in advance

Grizzly Recommendations

Dist. Below Knife Edge at BDC

A. Infeed Roller...... 0.040"
B. Chip Breaker....... 0.040"
C. Pressure Bar....... 0.008"
D. Outfeed Roller..... 0.020"
E. Bed Roller......... 0.002" - 0.020" for Rough Lumber

Taunton Press Recommendations

Dist. Below Knife Edge at BDC

A. Infeed Roller...... 0.030" - 0.035"
B. Chip Breaker....... 0.025" - 0.030"
C. Pressure Bar....... 0.003"
D. Outfeed Roller..... 0.030" - 0.035"
E. Bed Roller......... 0.020" for Rough Lumber

glenn bradley
03-17-2011, 7:27 PM
I do not run lumber straight from the mill so I can use a lighter touch. The feed rollers still grab like an alligator and if you change your mind, there's no stopping the material even with my very light settings.

A. Infeed Roller...... 0.030"
B. Chip Breaker....... 0.025"
C. Pressure Bar....... x.xxx" No worries, these are only on the 20" machines.
D. Outfeed Roller..... 0.020"
E. Bed Roller......... 0.000" for smoother lumber, yep that's ZERO.

The settings are pretty easy to change as the design of these machines adapt to many material types. The other important adjustment to remove the serrated roller marks (if you are trying to get close to a finished surface) is the feed roller tension. The manual states "Adjust tension the #1–#3 cap screws shown in figure 42 so that they protrude 1⁄8" above the head casting, and adjust the #4 cap screw so that it protrudes 5⁄16" above the head casting."

Mine are adjusted considerably higher (less tension). I put a drop of hot-melt glue on them once adjusted as I had them backed off quite a ways and was unsure of vibration induced movement. No problems over quite a bit of use. I also removed the piece of foam from under the top lid. With a good DC this foam is not necessary and causes chips to fall back onto the material being milled and make dents in your recently machined surface as it passes under the outfeed roller.

Remember to top off you gear oil and to drain and change it at 20 hrs.

Rob Holcomb
03-18-2011, 5:00 PM
Thank you for the help Glenn. Guess how I'm spending my Saturday morning :)