PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for drill press

Craig Ryder
03-17-2011, 9:08 AM
I am putting together a small hobbyist shop. Just got a decent table saw (12 yr old Unisaw) and am looking to get a better drill press. Looking for an older unit, which I generally consider to be better/heavier built, but I don't know much about the market. I don't want something for which there are no parts available. Are there things to look for and things to avoid in buying older drill presses? Budget is $500 tops and less if possible. I don't really want a major rebuild project.

Thanks,

glenn bradley
03-17-2011, 9:40 AM
I have a wonderful older machine but the chuck and shaft are one assembly. Different assemblies were offered as the method of changing the business end. That is the only catch that ever bothers me other than the fact that there is no table lift mechanism.

Callan Campbell
03-17-2011, 9:59 AM
Craig, break it up a little bit. Bench top or floor model? Standard features like multiple speeds with a range of low/under 500 to close to 3000RPM for a high, ? Rack and pinion table lift a must? Built-in work light nice, but could always add that on. 3/4HP motor?
For a newer floor model that is generally built OK, and has all the above features, my vote is to get a used Jet 17-MF. Belt changes are a bit harder since they were still using regular V-belts and not the later serp. belts like Steel City which are much easier to coax around a pulley from what I've tried. Or, just get the Steel City model.
If you go older than that, you may run into a problem with available parts, which you posted is a worry for you. I have two Delta DPs, totally at opposite ends of the spectrum. The 1952 Bench Top DP- 220 model probably won't have any parts for it laying around at a Delta distribution center, BUT, it doesn't ever seem to show any wear either.
The 'bigun', my 20" Floor model 20-950 is only a couple of years old, and isn't even made any more. I hope it doesn't need any parts since Delta has already replaced it with new models. Don't be afraid of old, just research what you find and ponder about before you buy. I had the JET, and replaced it with the larger 1HP Delta, but it was very well built for its size and price range. As others have posted, quill run-out on the newer DPs can really be a hit or miss affair with regards to build quality/tolerances. So, if at all possible, check over any DP under power/load if you can before buying it.

Chip Lindley
03-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Any DP should have only .001"-.002" runout in the chuck with drill rod chucked in it. Many cheaper import DPs suffer from too much wobble. If the chuck runs true, regardless of brand, the DP is a solid candidate. The other biggie is whether you wish to constantly change belts on pulleys for different speeds, OR lay down your $$$ for a VS model. Money well-spent, IMO!

Powermatic 1150s usually bring a hefty price. Delta/Rockwell VS DPs are right behind in value. But, if you buy once, cry once with an industrial DP with a VS Reeves drive, you won't be sorry.

I still own the first "old" machine I ever bought--A 1954 Craftsman (King-Seeley) DP! I bought it used for a hefty $100 in 1974 and it still serves me well today. The variable speed attachment is a Godsend!

Bill White
03-17-2011, 10:45 AM
I have a King Seely Craftsman as well. I paid $125.00, and it just needed dusting off. Mine is not vari-speed (dang it), but it is as tight as if it were new. I know that it does not have the sparkle of a new _____________ brand (pick one), but I don't think that I could buy a better one off the showroom floor. Wish that they still made 'em that way.
Bill

Kent A Bathurst
03-17-2011, 11:31 AM
..... OR lay down your $$$ for a VS model. Money well-spent, IMO!.........Powermatic 1150s usually bring a hefty price....

Chip's right.......Me likey the 1985 1150A-VS I got 6 months ago.

having said that, for the budget $$, you can find a solid PM 1150 or 1150A [same thing, basically - minor differences] that is belt + pulley driven. Nothing new and modern short of stratosphere prices is comparable, IMO. Just need to lurk around the usual sites - cl, bay, etc. and keep your powder dry - be ready to move when you see one.

you could also post a WTB here, but definitely on owwm-dot-org as well. That's where I hooked up for mine, and did not have to worry about condition, because them fellers know their stuff on this kind of gear.

Larry Edgerton
03-18-2011, 8:12 AM
Search for an old Walker Turner heavyweight drill presses on the net. They are easy to come up with, better than just about anything on the market now, and can be had for under $500 all day long. I have two, and I love them. I paid $100 for one floor model and $250 for a very heavy unit with a feeder/threader that is reversable and weighs over 1000 pounds.

They made one I want, a radial arm drill press that would be awesome for what I do. Next......

Craig Ryder
03-20-2011, 8:56 AM
Thank you all for the advice. I will keep an eye open for a few of the brands mentioned.
A couple folks have dropped me a note and gave me a heads up on a DP but nothing close enough yet. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Myk Rian
03-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Where is close enough?

Craig Ryder
03-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Where is close enough?

I'm in SW Michigan close to the shore of Lake Michigan. (Holland area)
I've updated my profile to include that.

Darrin Davis
03-20-2011, 2:36 PM
I bought a Luguna model last year (can't think of the model # off the top of my head) that was variable speed. With the ease of the variable speed lever I'm actually using the correct speed for the type of drill bit for the first time EVER! I hate changing the belts on the pulleys. It's not the greatest drill press in the world but I would rate it a 7 or 8 on a 10 scale. I would buy it again if I had to do it over again.

Scott Vigder
03-20-2011, 4:06 PM
I bought the Delta 950L last year and have been surprised with the quality. In medium use, it has performed all my tasks perfectly. The laser was easy to set up, calibrate, and then recalibrate when a friend knocked it out of alignment. It has one of the best tables available.