PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Smarts

Teresa Jones
01-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks to the great folks here, I now have a better understanding about slot cutting bits.

Here is the bit "correctly" mounted and in the router. And then the slots I cut with it for a headboard project (Regency Headboard by Norm).

OK, maybe the photos are in a different order.

Thanks, again, all!!

TJ

Keith Christopher
01-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Lookin good ! I always put slot cutting bits in the router table. I'm just not comfortable using them handheld unless I have to. I love the stability I get from the table and featherboards to hold the stock down. Much better cuts.

Keith

Teresa Jones
01-25-2005, 12:01 PM
I would have been more comfortable at the table as well. One of the pieces has four different curves and is six feet long. I didn't think I could handle that very well on the table, but on second thought, it probably would have been OK.

TJ

Greg Mann
01-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Teresa,

In lieu of a router table, a bigger subplate on the router would be helpful. You have alot of unsupported area around that bit which should be closed up. You don't want your work to fall in a void when you come to the corners. Check out Pat Warner"s website or get his book, the names of which escape me right now (Senior moment :o), for help getting up the learning curve.

Greg

Ted Shrader
01-25-2005, 3:19 PM
TJ -

Glad you got it running and making chips. Looks like you have this all figured out now. ;)

Ted

Greg Mann
01-25-2005, 6:38 PM
Teresa,

I am not real familiar with PC routers but it looked to me like there was no baseplate on yours. I went back and looked at the pics and I see a baseplate in the background. Did you take it off to make the picture easier to see or because it interfered with the grooving operation? I don't want to come across as preachy if you did this the right way, but if you ran this operation without the baseplate, that would be asking for trouble.

Greg