PDA

View Full Version : Corel X5 text format question

Randy Digby
03-16-2011, 7:08 PM
Engravelab does this automatically and I'm sure X5 will do it, I just don't know which buttons to push!

I want to have a text box, say 2" wide (with like 12pt text). If I enter a word shorter than the width of the text box, I want the text displayed with normal character to character spacing (kerning), and not strtched to fill the width of the text box. If I enter text that is normally longer than the width of the text box, I want the text to compress in the width dimension as needed to stay within the confines of the text box (2" in this example).

I can enter the text now and then change the width of the text box but that will take too long for the application I am working on. The end result will be a template that will be populated via merge from another data document, so the text compression (when needed) needs to be automatic.

Thanks gang.

Neal Schlee
03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Center justify your longest line of text, then apply an Envelope to it, then select edit text and you should get the results you're looking for.

Neal

Randy Digby
03-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks Neal. I had a chance to play with the Envelope function a little and could not get the effect I'm looking for. There are a lot of settings associated so I may not have the right combination yet - I'll keep at it a while.

Chris Mahoney
03-18-2011, 11:21 AM
What about plain old force justify?

Chris Achtschin
03-18-2011, 4:23 PM
I recently took a class at the ARA Conference in February.
I Believe it was Roy Brewer that mentioned X5's new improved print merge function could address your needs.
I did'nt follow too close as I have X4.
Hope this helps.