PDA

View Full Version : Wood Turning Magazine of Choice

Keith E Byrd
03-16-2011, 5:04 PM
Which wood turning magazine do you recommend?

Harry Robinette
03-16-2011, 9:29 PM
Woodturning mag.from England

Wally Dickerman
03-16-2011, 9:54 PM
Join the AAW and you get one of the best turning mags around. 6 issues a year. Every serious turner should be a member of AAW. Check out their website.

Greg Just
03-16-2011, 9:59 PM
AAW and Woodturning Design

Thomas Canfield
03-16-2011, 10:07 PM
All 3 mentioned above are good. I think that the Woodturning from England is more international, and you do not get US advertising or sources, and most expensive. Woodturning Design may have more for newer turners and it is US based. AAW for me is usually for the more experienced, and has got a lot of the artsy-far*** extreme that are way beyond my skill or interest, but a good magazine and a bonus of membership. I take all 3 and ususally find something of interest in all three.

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
AAW, Woodturning Design and Woodturning from England.

Scott Hackler
03-16-2011, 10:46 PM
American Woodturner (AAW journal) is very very nice, with a leaning towards the masters and thier work. Most of the pictures in the magazine are of gallery class work. They also have how to articles that CAN be very advanced.

Woodturning Design is also a great publication, with more of a leaning towards the average turner. Most of the articles are reader submitted and it has several "how to" articles every issue. They also do a good job in a special write up highlighting above average/master turners. Several members, here, have been highlighted in several page spreads and the editor Joe Hermann is also a member here.

I like getting both of these, as I like to see ALL different skill levels of turnings. I get inspiration from both magazines.

John Keeton
03-17-2011, 7:07 AM
From what I have seen on newstands, the three that are listed may be the only choices out there! I have not seen any other magazines devoted exclusively to woodturning.

I get the online version of AAW's magazine, and being a member there gets you access to their prior issues online, as well as some other features, too. Great source! I subscribe to Woodturning Design, and I believe the comments are accurate as to its market audience. I just recently bought an issue of Woodturning from England, and was very impressed with it, as well. However, not having US based advertisers makes it less desirable for me.

cliff smith
03-17-2011, 8:27 AM
Add to the list More Woodturning published by Fred Holder http://www.morewoodturning.net/ a very good magazine with many reader written articles available in print and online.

Jerry Rhoads
03-17-2011, 9:42 AM
For me Woodturning Magazine, Woodturning Design, then The AAW's Journal.
I do like looking at the art pieces of the Journal, but as a prodution turner(not to many art pieces) I like Woodturing Mag from England best for inspiration.
I also have a club member who gives me some of his More Woodturning mags, and I get inspiration from these. I realy should subscribe so that I can get them all, and to help keep it going.

Jerry

Montgomery Scott
03-17-2011, 10:49 AM
+1 on More Woodturning. Very practical information. Check out their sample issue http://www.morewoodturning.net/sample.pdf

Terry Murphy
03-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Woodturning
Subscribe to it, the best way to get it.
Their customer service is the best,