PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Solution

Michael Ginsberg
03-16-2011, 3:42 PM
Has anybody had experience with the "Sanding Solution" with articulated joint, from the Sanding Glove Company?
If so, what do you think? Does it work well or gimmick?
Michael

David DeCristoforo
03-16-2011, 4:10 PM
Looks pretty expensive from here. And it is going to need a pretty big opening! I have some steel rods with gobs of velcro taped to the ends. Easy to bend one if you need to. Stick bits of velcro backed sandpaper to them and have at it. No pics but I could get some if you don't get the idea...

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-16-2011, 8:14 PM
Michael
I have one, & I know of at least 3 others who have them.
Yes it's a bit $$$. That said I love mine & use it extensively, as do the others I know who have them. They seem simple enough, but there is a bit of a learning curve to get the best performance out of them.
There is several different options, several different size sanding pads. and several different firmness.
That said I use mine on the outside of my vessels mainly for finer grits using the soft pad.
If you have any questions on them call Bruce Hoover at the sanding glove. He's the one who delevoped it. Bruce is a great guy to deal with & will take the time to answer any questions you may have.

Cathy Schaewe
03-16-2011, 9:05 PM
I was tempted, but when I went to order, they were out of stock. Probably just as well. I've been using homemade flap sanders for the inside of my HFs, with a design by Eugen Schlaak. I'm fairly happy with them -
http://cumberlandwoodturners.com/PDF%20Files/Flap%20sander.pdf

Bill Bulloch
03-16-2011, 10:22 PM
I use the flap sander for HFs also. I sand the inside up to 400 grit with them. Make your own and they are reasonably cheap.

Tim Thiebaut
03-17-2011, 12:45 AM
I have both of the Sorby models of inertia sanders and love them, which is basicly what these are the differnce being the Sanding solution says they use dual bearings I guess. The small Sorby model I use to get inside of small lidded boxes etc and it can fit through a fairly small opening, I use both of them a lot though and they are gret tools. Like most have said these are fairly expensive, I dont know if having the bearings is worth that much more money, my sorbys work fine with bronze bushings that I oil lightly on occasion. I bought both of the Sorby sanders plus a bunch of disks for less then this costs.

Michael Ginsberg
03-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks to those who responded. Some of you suggested making your own w/ Velcro. By doing that I assume the ball is stationary. With the rotating head of the articulated head of "The Sanding Solution" I would think you would get a better finish. I have 45 degree angle drill from Sioux for the inside of bowls and the outside of hollow forms. I was thinking of getting this tool with the 1" pad for the insides of hollow and partial hollow forms.
Michael

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I bought one. I seem to buy one of everything. Anyway, so far it has not been as effective as I hoped. It does have a long reach and can find the bottom of deep bowls, which I like to make. As far as effectively sanding, nothing has approached the speed and quality of the finish I get from my 2" pneumatic random orbital. However, that has limited reach and the SS Tool can reach anywhere. It also comes with really soft pads that make it nice in the "corners".
faust

Don Geiger
03-17-2011, 4:03 PM
I've had one since Bruce first came out with it. It is a WONDERFUL product! The articulating head enables me to get into positions I can't with other sanders and the arbors are easily changed out so you can have several sizes and quicklyy change to the size you need. The handle is in segments so the length can be changed. Very good quality bearings that should last a lifetime.

Don Geiger

Dan Forman
03-17-2011, 4:17 PM
I would think that the effectiveness of this tool might vary with the intended application. It might be more helpful if responders would reveal specifically how they were using it. For example: bowl vs tall narrow HF vs squat southwest style HF; how large the opening was, etc.

Dan