PDA

View Full Version : D4R versus D4R Pro

Don L Johnson
03-16-2011, 3:12 PM
I recently picked up a like new D4R...I thought it was a "Pro" but found out from Leigh that it is not. There wasn't a comparison chart between those two on the Leigh site, but I did notice you could upgrade from the D4R to the Pro by buying several upgrade kits, to include a $99 kit to change out the fingers. Is there that much difference between what I have and the Pro to pay for any of the upgrade features offered by Leigh? Thanks

Chip Lindley
03-16-2011, 3:55 PM
Don, the D4R cuts dovetails! That is what I bought mine for 20 years ago! It does exactly what it is supposed to do--cut custom-spaced dovetails in 3/4" stock of blanket chests, with a hand-cut look! Only buy the accessories if you NEED to do what they provide. Personally, I won't be cutting any "teddy bear" isolock joints any time soon.

The Pro package (http://www.leighjigs.com/d4.php) includes:

1/2'' 8° dovetail bit
1/2'' 14° dovetail bit
5/16'' straight bit
1/2'' to 8mm collet reducer
e7 Template Guide
Cam action speed clamps
Sliding dovetail fence
Square drive screwdriver
5/64'' hex key
Fully illustrated User Guide
Instructional DVD
Half-blind bridge piece material
Leigh Wrench
Single pass spacer
Box joint spacer
Nylon stop rod

The older D4R (http://dovetailjigs.net/leigh-d4r-dovetail-jig/) included:

Leigh D4R Dovetail Jig
Two dovetail bits, one straight bit
One collet reducer, 5/64″ hex key, e7 template guide bush, square-head guide finger screwdriver, Leigh wrench/gauge
Four cam-action speed clamps
Nylon stop rod, single pass spacer, box-joint spacer, half-blind bridge-piece material
Sliding dovetail fence
Fully illustrated user guide, instructional DVD

All other accessory templates and dust collection shroud are optional, and could be used on either one. Buy only what you need!

Jim McFarland
03-16-2011, 5:22 PM
The "Pro" version allows (from the Leigh site):
- five sizes of single pass dovetails
- two sizes of precisely fitted box joints, all routed with the standard dovetail finger assembly

Single pass dovetails would be nice if I made a lot of drawers but not worth the $s for me to convert my D4 model.