PDA

View Full Version : OT - 2 Computers, 1 Printer ???

Hal Peeler
01-25-2005, 9:28 AM
OK I'll show my computer ignorance here. I recently purchased a new laptop and was wondering if there is a simple way to connect 2 computers to one printer? Until now if I needed to print from my laptop I just disconnected the printer cable from my desktop, but now I need to do this more often. I am not interested in a home network for a couple of reasons, but mainly because I am still on a dial up connection (don't know if we'll ever get DSL). Sorry for the long post but I can always depend on the knowledge here, woodworking or otherwise. Thanks in advance.
Hal

Jim DeLaney
01-25-2005, 9:41 AM
OK I'll show my computer ignorance here. I recently purchased a new laptop and was wondering if there is a simple way to connect 2 computers to one printer? Until now if I needed to print from my laptop I just disconnected the printer cable from my desktop, but now I need to do this more often. I am not interested in a home network for a couple of reasons, but mainly because I am still on a dial up connection (don't know if we'll ever get DSL). Sorry for the long post but I can always depend on the knowledge here, woodworking or otherwise. Thanks in advance.
Hal

Depends on ypur printer.

I have an HP inkjet printer and a Minolta laser printer. Both of them have both parallel cable and USB connections. I connect my desktop computer to the HP using the parallel connection, and the laser via USB. That way, I can connect my laptop to the HP via USB or the laser via a parallel cable.

BTW, I seldom use the laser with the laptop, preferring the inkjet via USP, since it's an easier (more convenient) connection. I just leave a USB cable plugged into the printer, and coiled up next to it, so all I have to do to use it with the laptop is just plug it in.

Another solution would be an "A-B" switch, which most computer stores will have. With it, you'll need to put the desktop on "A" and a cable for the laptop on "B", and switch as needed. A bit more hassle, but it works.

Brian Austin
01-25-2005, 9:52 AM
What Jim said.

If you're looking for dirt simple, cable swapping is probably it. The A-B switch would be a better solution, saving your time and cable connectors (they're not really designed to swapped a lot). Home networking is not as hard as it sounds and would work in this situation, giving the best flexibility.

John Miliunas
01-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Agree with what both, Jim & Brian said. A/B switch is simple, networking is more elegant and easier once setup. If you go the switch route, be aware of the type of switch you're buying. Most all inkjet and laser printers are "bidirectional", meaning they "talk back" to the PC. Not all A/B switches will have that ability.:cool:

Jim Becker
01-25-2005, 10:26 AM
The printer will play a role here, too...many printers sold today only have a USB interface so the old parallel port A/B switch doesn't apply. Frankly, a cheap network card in the desktop and a crossover cable might actually be the most practical way to join the two computers and share both the printer and file space! Yes...it's a network, but there are no switches to play around with or cables to swap. Just a thought...

Perry Schmidt
01-25-2005, 11:16 AM
What most everyone else said. I agree with John that setting up a home network really isn't that hard and (IMHO) the best solution. It's by far your cheapest solution and most flexible solution. But if you're dead set against it, they make A/B switches for parallel ports - both manual and autosensing or you can get A/B switches for USB ports too. Here's an example:

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-MS200&cats=116&catid=116%2C104%2C653%2C210%2C212

That one is manual and pretty cheap. You can get automatic ones too for more $$$:

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=US-98&cats=116&catid=116%2C585%2C377%2C2345%2C908%2C%2C230%2C%2C2 29%2C216%2C907%2C989%2C133

If you check out this site, you can see 'all your options'.

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Sharing.html

I've never used any of these devices so can't tell you how well they work, but if they're like the auto-sensing parallel port sharing devices of the past those work very well. So I would assume it's similar technology and works just fine.

Hope that helps.

Perry