PDA

View Full Version : Holding those tiny pieces, when cutting segments

dirk martin
03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
I've got an Incra 5000 miter sled, on my table saw, that I plan on using for cutting segments, for segmented rings.
Since I'm new to this, I'm reading articles, and indeed, some of those segments can be pretty short.

What suggests can I be given on easy ways to hold those tiny pieces against my fence, and yet keep my fingers out of the way?
I'm seeing some folks make a 20 piece ring, for a face neck, which makes for some pretty small segments.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi Dirk,
I am not a segmented turner but I know they depend on a very accurate jig used on a disc sander to true the pieces. There are good DVD's available showing the process. The turning catalogs sell them. They will show you safe ways to cut the little pieces and possibly avoid the table saw all together. If you do use your table saw, build a sled with a mechanism that will hold the pieces. Keep your hands out of that process, it is kind of dangerous.
faust

Montgomery Scott
03-16-2011, 2:52 PM
I've never used the TS to cut segments. I prefer to use the miter saw with a zero clearance fence. My current project required numerous pieces 1/4" square. I might be a little anxious using a TS to cut those.

Bill Bulloch
03-16-2011, 3:19 PM
With the Incra 5000's zero clearance fence you should not have a problem cutting small segments. Just make the length of the board you are cutting a few inches longer so you will have some extra lenght to hold on to when cutting the last few segments. Another thing, make sure you remove each segment away from the blade when cut. If it is caught by the blade it can throw it back at you with quite a force. I use the eraser end of a pencil to remove it (or sometimes hold it down as I cut).

Joe Herrmann
03-16-2011, 3:30 PM
Johnny Tolly had a pretty ingenious method for catching those tiny segmented pieces as they come off the table saw in an article he wrote for Woodturning Design magazine. Here is a link to the article on
Turning Wood": http://www.turningwood.com/articles/Bigseg2.pdf

Chris Colman
03-16-2011, 6:22 PM
I do all my segment cutting on my table saw.

I built a sled with an adjustable angle fence. I use a toggle clamp to hold the cut pieces. Keeps the fingers well away from the blade.

Jim Colombo
03-16-2011, 8:47 PM
Dirk; Here's a photo of a sharpened allen wrench I made from a Malcom Tibbetts' suggestion. I recommend his book and video.

Tim Thiebaut
03-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Johnny Tolly had a pretty ingenious method for catching those tiny segmented pieces as they come off the table saw in an article he wrote for Woodturning Design magazine. Here is a link to the article on
Turning Wood": http://www.turningwood.com/articles/Bigseg2.pdf

There are some very interesting things at this link you posted, thanks for posting it for us!

dirk martin
03-17-2011, 2:24 AM
Anyone know the web address of Texas Gadgets, so I can see some of those cool segmented turning jigs?