PDA

View Full Version : ARA Show

Liesl Dexheimer
03-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Anyone attend the ARA show this year? How was it? How was attendance? Anything new & noteworthy?

AL Ursich
03-16-2011, 4:30 PM
Big discussion about it on Engraving etc.

Got my "Why did you not attend" email talked about by others but I did not open the link.... I have not been a member of ARA for 5 years.

The Survey was from Boomerang something dot com and looked BOGUS.... From a Connect2AMC dot com email.... Looked bogus but called ARA and yes it was from the outsourced company gathering data.

The Text looked about as professional as the normal overseas Spam we all see.... No name.... No details.... Just click on my handy link.... IF Feel LUCKY ....... :D

AL

Ron Chapellaz
03-21-2011, 2:49 PM
Hi Liesl,
I went to the show, and the attendance looked to be maybe slightly less than 2 years ago when I last went. I didn't get to see the whole show floor as I took in as many seminars as time allowed. The usual vendors were there with a few different ones. Laser engraver prices were lower than last time, I guess due to the Chinese market coming on board more and more.
I took in a seminar with Tom from Laser Buzz and it was a really informative presentation. It was standing room only. I wish I could have had more time and actually spoken with him but I was off to another seminar. I took in a seminar with Mike Dean and Mike Clarke both of which really know their stuff when it comes to lasers. I learnt so much that I know it was well worth the trip out to Vegas.
Rhinestones seemed to be more popular than last time as well. I saw the liquamask that laserbits sells and it looked very cool. It forms a rubbery gel which you then laser into and it peels off easily afterwards.

I received a sample of Durablack a new laser marking aluminum, that has excellent resolution with the possibility of engraving very small font sizes.

There were a couple other members at the show that I know of. Maybe they would like to add their comments to what was new.

I am also going to the DAX show in Minneapolis. It is a show more aimed at apparel but still worth a look. If there is anything new there I'll post. Epilog and Universal will both be there.

Dee, I never got to see the dual engraver. Sorry, I ran out of time!!

Tim Riley
03-21-2011, 3:49 PM
Ron -

I've been trying to work with LiquaMask for a month now with no luck. What did they demo it on? I've been using it on Baltic Birch plywood with 2 coats of CAB acrylic lacquer and ends up either pulling up fibers or an entire layer, or leaving behind a blue tinge. Basically, I haven't been happy with the product, at least on wood. Plus, purchased from LaserBits, it's $, General Chemical (the manufacturer) is 1/3 the price, but there is NO support for any product problem.

Tim

Dee Gallo
03-21-2011, 5:36 PM
Thanks for the review, Ron, sounds like there was more to see than time allowed. That's a good conference, keep 'em wanting more! Someday I'll make that show.

cheers, dee

Ron Chapellaz
03-21-2011, 6:20 PM
Ron -

I've been trying to work with LiquaMask for a month now with no luck. What did they demo it on? I've been using it on Baltic Birch plywood with 2 coats of CAB acrylic lacquer and ends up either pulling up fibers or an entire layer, or leaving behind a blue tinge. Basically, I haven't been happy with the product, at least on wood. Plus, purchased from LaserBits, it's $, General Chemical (the manufacturer) is 1/3 the price, but there is NO support for any product problem.

Tim

Hey Tim,
I believe they were using their wood thins with the LiquaMask. It sure worked well. I'm not so sure it will work on Baltic Birch unless it has been sealed really well. The person to ask would be Mike Fruciano. He is also a member here so maybe he'll chime in or email and ask him. He was very knowledgeable with the product.
Here is a post with LiaquaMask:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153546-Liquid-Mask

Terry Swift
03-22-2011, 7:15 PM
Ron,

Yes, Mike was doing quite a few demos with LuiqaMask and I just bought some from LaserBits. Haven't used it yet; but big plug from Mike is that "the wood has to be sealed" or it won't work properly. I'm guessing he means like a finished plaque you would buy from him or the other plaque suppliers.

The ARA Show was my first trip out (got to meet up with Ron and his wife). Unfortunately to me; it wasn't all that well attended for a Vegas Convention. I had just came away from an ASI Show in Dallas and it was probably twice the size; but included Promo Product & Apparel Vendors too. Some really good things going on; but maturity of products, especially with inkjet / laserjet / thermal type technologies has to happen IMHO. Lots of competition going on from AcryliPrint, JOTO, MagicTouch, and others - but most seem very expensive, finicky, and require special printers / etc. Our business is not cheap when it comes to equipment purchases and now supplies going thru the roof. I did drool over a sandblast rig and some of the massive pass thru lasers - but $$$ talk. A few good show specials as well. Classes were good for the most part - I think on the 2nd day for the mid-morning class - it was a bust for everyone from what I heard. I even moved from my class to another one, the instructor was so bad. Half of the others in my class did the same.

Going to NBM - Austin tomorrow for a couple of days.

Maybe if I wasn't going to all these shows, I could actually buy some equipment! :eek::eek::eek: :D:D:D:D:D

Liesl Dexheimer
03-25-2011, 8:39 AM
Thank you for the comments. Wish I could go but Las Vegas is too far, would like it if they could have a show in the Northeast for a change. I even suggested that in their survey but I know it will always be Las Vegas. :(