PDA

View Full Version : What VS Lathe????

Jack Clay
03-16-2011, 9:07 AM
Hi,
I have a Delta Midi Lathe that I have a buyer for and I would like to replace it with a variable speed lathe. I have been looking through the net trying to find the best one. What VS lathe have some of you bought and would you recommend it. Thanks for the help.

Russell Eaton
03-16-2011, 9:13 AM
I have the Delta 46-460 vs, and the Jet 1014 vs. I would buy the Delta again, if it was out when I got my Jet I would have gotten the Delta. The reverse is a great feature as well as the 1 hp motor. I do like the 1642 EVS2 that Jet makes. It is a dream to run. I am cursed with a tool addiction:0

Tim Rinehart
03-16-2011, 9:38 AM
What Russell said...I'd have to agree totally.
The larger question (no pun intended) is whether you are happy with size of the midi you have now or not. Jet 1642 is a great option as a step up lathe, but the Delta 46-460 really is the dominant VS midi at this point. There are others, Jet and PSI notably have some very good VS midis...but you won't find anyone regretting having the 46-460.

John McCaskill
03-16-2011, 9:41 AM
Depends on how much you need to swing and how deep your pockets are. I have the 16 X 42 Nova DVR XP and wouldn't trade for it. It's on sale now at Woodcraft $500 off ($1699). Others like the Jet 14X42 or 16X42, I'm sure you'll also hear from 3520b aficionados as well. Jet and Powermatic are on sale this week at Rockler 15% off IIRC.

John

Dan Hintz
03-16-2011, 9:56 AM
I have the Jet 1642VS... picked it up during last year's sale, but they're on sale again for the next week for $1,700 (maybe a bit cheaper if you work a deal with someone).

Brodie Brickey
03-16-2011, 10:00 AM
It really depends on what you want in your lathe.

Do you have space for a full size lathe?
How much swing do you want?
How much are you willing to pay?
What is it you want to do with your lathe? (Bed posts, architectural columns, bowls, coffee mugs, wine coolers, pens, small circular tables)

When I think of the most bang for your buck, it comes down to either a Powermatic 3520B or the Nova DVR. The 1st is a 20" swing and Tools-plus.com and maybe others have a 15% off sale on Jet & Powermatic tools through March 21st (codes for free shipping are: SHIPJET and SHIPPOWER). I don't have any experience with Tools-plus nor do I work for them.

The Nova DVR (currently on sale @ WoodCraft for 1699.99) has a 16" swing and is very easy to use. Not as massive as the Powermatic and you'll probably want to mount it on a bench, but a very very good lathe. The Turning club I'm with has it on a rollable cabinet and its a pleasure to turn on.

I've also used the jet 1014 & its VS model. They're both rock solid little lathes that can take a lot of abuse but you're limited to a 10" swing. That can be kinda small if you're looking to turn larger bowls or do hollowing. I love my Powermatic but it is a big beast. It also requires 220v so if you don't have 220 grab the Nova DVR its more than enough for most turners. I don't have any experience with the larger Jet lathes so I can't speak for them, but many people are quite happy with them. Although I own some Delta tools, I'm very glad I got rid of my Delta lathe with the Reeves drive. It was a number of years ago and I'm sure that they've re-engineered it for the better, but Jet or Powermatic would be a better choice for a lathe than Delta.

Above the Powermatic in price range there are a lot of options, but at that point you're arguing Robust vs. Stubby and all that other fun stuff.

Neal Addy has a great list of lathes, their specifications and other info on his site. Check it out to get a more detailed review of all your options:
http://www.nealaddy.org/pub/Lathe_List.html

Good luck with your choices.

Montgomery Scott
03-16-2011, 11:00 AM
I bought the Jet 1642-1.5 a few years back new for $1200 + tax including the 18" bed extension. I would have preferred the 2hp, not for the extra .5hp but because it's a 220V machine. Back then the PM3520 was $2300 but I could see spending and extra 1K for it. Eventually I would like to jump to a big lathe like the Robust anyway. The 1642 is a good lathe. It needs some extra weight on it and does bog down under heavy cuts but I like it. If you are serious about turning you should buy the most capable lathe you can afford so that it will be a while before you outgrow it.

Matt Owen
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Another vote for the Nova DVR XP. I've had mine for over 5 years, and if I could do it all over, I would buy buy it again. DVR XP means never having to change belts, which is fantastic for me.

Tim Thiebaut
03-16-2011, 11:52 AM
I have the Jet 1220VS and love it, I am sure I am not useing it to its full potential yet, but so far it was worked without fail, there is a sale for Jet and Powermatic going on now, I believe the Jet's are either %15-20 off I cant remember which so that is one thing to look into...and I am not sure how long the same lasts so you might want to look so if you are interested.

Harry Robinette
03-16-2011, 9:40 PM
I have an 18" General Bed lathe and a Vega 2600 Bowl lathe. What size,how much $ to spend,What are you turning,spindles,bowl,platters.Need to have info.to get info.

Greg Just
03-16-2011, 9:57 PM
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Jet 1642 EVS for the electronic speed control. Being able to go really slow is important to me. I used a Oneway (out of my price range) with the speed control and it was really nice. The Jet is on sale right now and it is within my budget. Just my 2 cents.

Thomas Canfield
03-16-2011, 9:59 PM
I have the Jet 1014VS and would not recommend it for bowl or plate turning, even within the 10" size. I use it now for pens and small work and taking to classes or field days, or else am using my Powermatic 3520B which I hardily recommend. The Jet 1014 VS does not have the power that the standard Jet 1014 has, and I cannot speak for the 12" VS Jet. I have not seen the Delta 1 HP VS, but that would be where I would look ( and try to get my hands on one before buying).

Sean Nagle
03-17-2011, 1:06 AM
I have the Jet 1642VS... picked it up during last year's sale, but they're on sale again for the next week for $1,700 (maybe a bit cheaper if you work a deal with someone).

Dan, I assume you're referring to the 1-1/2 HP model? If you're talking about the 2 HP model, I'd like to know where that's available for close to $1700. It seems everyone pretty much has it for the 15% off including shipping ($2040).

Reed Gray
03-17-2011, 1:15 AM
It does come down to how much do you want to spend. I prefer a sliding headstock to the pivoting ones. At the headstock end, you have a spindle lathe, and move it down, and you have a bowl lathe. I prefer the dial a speed to the push button slow ramp up and down set up on the Nova, but it is a good lathe. The 220 volt model is superior to the 110 volt model on both the Jet and the Nova. For a lot of bowl turning, you want 2 hp. You can do fine with less, but if you are doing it for money (professionally or semi pro as in support your habbit, and pay some bills) you need the extra torque. For most of what you will turn, you really don't need more than 16 inch diameter. I have the big Robust for the 3 hp motor.

robo hippy

robo hippy

John Sanford
03-17-2011, 1:50 AM
Vicmarc.

'nuff said.

Dan Hintz
03-17-2011, 6:33 AM
Dan, I assume you're referring to the 1-1/2 HP model?
Correct... the 2HP model is $250 more.