PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 701 advice/ comments please.

Clisby Clark
03-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Powermatic has the 701 on sale for 374 for the next week. I've been thinking hard about getting this mortiser for quite a while, but I've got a few questions.

First, any chance of getting much of a lower price anytime soon?

Second. Does anyone have experience with both this and the General benchtop?

Third. Any 701 owners...would you recommend this mortiser? Why or why not?

Finally, is the 701 made in China or Taiwan?

Thanks

Tom Hintz
03-16-2011, 4:34 AM
I have a review of the 701 at the link below. This machine is as close to a floor model that you can get without actually getting a floor model. Lots of power, lots of heft and it works great.
As for sales, Powermatic has them like everyone else but I am not privy to what they have planned in the future. I never seem to gain anything by waiting for sales other than not having the machine that I wanted for longer than was necessary.
I believe the 701 is made in Taiwan like most other things these days. I think are getting close to needing a time machine if you want a woodworking machine that is truly made in the US anymore.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm701rvu.html

Paul McGaha
03-16-2011, 5:30 AM
Clisby,

I just did a search for PM 701 here on the creek. Seemed to be a fair amount of informaiton.

I have a PM 719A and am very happy with it.

I think there is a 15% off sale going on now so your timing is good if you choose Jet or Powermatic.

Good luck with it.

Clisby Clark
03-16-2011, 8:16 AM
Thanks...I knew the machine was not made in US and just wanted to know if it was China or Taiwan. For various reasons which I won't detail, I will go to great lengths not to buy made in China.

Julian Tracy
03-16-2011, 8:31 AM
Biggest diff I've seen in the smaller units is the rpm and the access for getting to the drill chuck.

JT